Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't use the smelter  (Read 3999 times)

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't use the smelter
« on: December 15, 2010, 05:06:49 pm »

I have 273 coal or something like that, but I still can't use the smelter, when I try to assign some tasks I get the "No tasks available, check for raw material access and fuel if necessary". Obviously, I have a huge load of ore as well.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't use the smelter
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »

I tried marking a bunch of my coal bins for dumping and forbbiding, but I still get the same message.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:13:47 pm »

doublecheck pathing aroung the smelter.  might be its seperated from fuel by a forbidden door or burrow restriction

try ordering smelt jobs through the manager.

just some ideas, given how much coal you got its unlikely that its all tasked elsewhere unless you do a lot of stockpile juggling
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Gokajern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:39:25 pm »

Thanks, I think using the manager did it, I resized the only burrow I have too, though I don't understand why would this matter since I'm not in any kind of alert mode.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:08:23 pm »

I'm pretty sure you have to smelt the coal into coke and that job alone requires 1 coke, so you need to burn some wood into coke and then use that to turn the coal into coke (There is a net gain of 2 coke I think). So this might have been the problem.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:05 am »

If by "coal" you mean the Bituminous coal or Lignite, then yes. You need to turn both of them into coke first, by using the Wood furnace. Unless you've got access to magma the transformation will cost you one fuel beforehand (Turn a tree into charcoal) for each piece of coke.

Note that Bituminous coal will give you 3 while Lignite only gives 2, minus one piece each ofcourse as you will be burning more coke.
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 06:14:23 am »

You turn bituminous coal or lignite ore into coke at the smelter, not the wood burner.

The wood furnace is for wood->charcoal.

Or just dig down until you hit magma and build magma smelters!  It's doable within the first year if you want, just wall off any cavern breaches on the way.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 06:34:13 am »

hah yeah I missed that.  DF is tricky with the word 'coal'.

You will need to turn it into coke as mentioned.  If the smelter says no fuel available this may be the cause.
Also, jobs that cancel due to a lack of fuel will specify 'refined coal', this is an indicator that you have exhausted coke and charcoal, you will need to burn 1 wood to boot-start the smelters for making more coke

I've never actually tested the manager's AI.  I dont know if ordering jobs here causes them to automagically assign the fuel jobs needed to start it up
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:41:52 am »

Nope afraid not, it's just the same as finding the building and give it a task but saves you having to remember where all your workshops are.  And it will keep trying to repeat the task if for some reason it fails.

So if you need 10 soap you can set make 10 ash, make 10 lye, make 10 soap and just leave them to it as the materials are created rather than micromanage each workshop.