Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [.31] & [40d] Fishing Stocks - Streams, Ponds, Etc.  (Read 550 times)

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[.31] & [40d] Fishing Stocks - Streams, Ponds, Etc.
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:50:08 am »

So I'm asking this about 40d, but I hope to play .31 someday (when it gives better FPS), and I'd like the question answered for both.)

I know that murky pools can be fished out, and once they are fished out they're never going to be productive fishing waters again.

I also believe I read somewhere that streams will replenish their stocks.

In my current 40d game the stream has stopped producing fish at all and staring at it on z-1 I can't see any vermin tiles popping up which would otherwise suggest fish are present.

Is it possible to fish out an unlimited source of water?

Additionally, I've noticed that my dwarves can catch fish through a well if that well connects to the stream (which I usually do).  I read that you can get fish into cisterns as well - will they transmit through pumps as well?  Could I designate my holding tank for my water traps a fishing zone with success? (It's z+3 from the water source).  I read about using an underground river as a water source for traps and that clever plumbing would let you fish from this source as well.  Does that require fishing before the pumpstack?  (The implication was that you could fish from the safety of your cistern.)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: [.31] & [40d] Fishing Stocks - Streams, Ponds, Etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:51:32 am »

As to quote:

"Vermin teleport, so nothing actually contains them."

Just give them time - in that stream - and they will reappear.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:32 am »

As far as I can tell, fishing stocks are finite, even if you're fishing out of an infinite water source.  Larger water sources like rivers or oceans have more fish in them, but with enough dedicated fishing effort it is possible to permanently deplete all the fish in any biome, even the ocean.  And once you do, they never come back.  Vermin don't seem to breed in the current version.

Furthermore, the fishing job is unrelated to the vermin fish you may see wandering around.  Vermin fish teleport around randomly, but that doesn't matter for fishing.  Fishing is determined by the skill of the fisherdwarf, the populations of fish in the local biome, and the location of the water that is being fished out of.  DF does not seem to keep track of where water originally came from, only where it is currently located, when deciding what kind of fish (if any) you'll get out of it.  Water which is near the river will count as part of the river biome for the purposes of fishing, even if you pumped the water from elsewhere, while water which is far from the river will be murky pond/swamp/underground water even if it came from the river in the first place.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:23 am »

As far as I can tell, fishing stocks are finite, even if you're fishing out of an infinite water source.  Larger water sources like rivers or oceans have more fish in them, but with enough dedicated fishing effort it is possible to permanently deplete all the fish in any biome, even the ocean.  And once you do, they never come back.  Vermin don't seem to breed in the current version.

I got like, 20 fish from the stream in question.  Seems a might bit low.  Is this moddable at all?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 10:47:58 am »

I got like, 20 fish from the stream in question.  Seems a might bit low.  Is this moddable at all?
In theory, increasing the POPULATION_NUMBER token for the creature in the raw files might do that.  Will require a new world to be generated, of course.  In practice, the number of fish you get before stocks run out seems to be far below what POPULATION_NUMBER predicts already, so it might not make a difference.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.