Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: YEAH NO MORE DAMN AQUEDUCTS!!!!  (Read 996 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
YEAH NO MORE DAMN AQUEDUCTS!!!!
« on: April 23, 2007, 10:24:00 am »

SEE DEV NOTES!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
Re: YEAH NO MORE DAMN AQUEDUCTS!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

Well, how are you supposed to transport magma over river then? Dig under river? By the same logic, bridges are useless too.

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 12:08:00 pm »

You can't compare bridges to aqueducts! Bridges kill things!

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »

Bridges aren't useless because they are retractable, so great in case of sieges.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 01:22:00 pm »

The aqueducts sucked i dont know how many fortresses i flooded.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grue:
<STRONG>Well, how are you supposed to transport magma over river then? Dig under river? By the same logic, bridges are useless too.</STRONG>

I believe that "Pipes" of which Toady talked about at some point are going to be the replacement for aqueducts and I can't see why they couldn't be used to transport liquids over  rivers/chasms. Also with the updates there are to come you might not have to transport your magma over a river at all, the cliff faces are going to be very different.

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 06:22:00 pm »

Hmm. I have never had a single problem with aqueducts save they don't stop the natural flooding of rivers under them to my 'lava channels' leaving the lava tunnel service corridor succeptible to tower cap blocking.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 07:07:00 pm »

For that exact reason I have been smoothing the floors of all my access tunnels. Well, I have been smoothing EVERY floor tile except my tree farms and some tiles near my river crossing, as they get muddy early.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

I'm more happy about the getting rid of channels thing.  I hope that pipes let us do everything we wanted to do with channels.  Can dwarves walk on pipes?

Anticheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

And now for a quote from Beneath a Steel Sky:

"What do you think this city is built on, lad?"

"Rock'n'Roll?"

"NO! Pipes, ducts and conduits."

---

"Now this machine here measures the internal bore of the pipes. It's accurate to 20 decimal places, whatever that means. Still it's impressive all these numbers eh?"

---

Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games