Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The last fighter of Deadgates [Story]  (Read 582 times)

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
The last fighter of Deadgates [Story]
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:24:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kol was the only one standing. Covered in blood, wounded in many places, but alive. The last goblin was now dead, killed by the powerful dwarf warrior. The survivor looked around, and slowly returned to the fortress. When his steel armor was damaged in many places and his two axes now seemed harder to hold. He passed the gates, quietly and watched the others. They were thirteen.

“They are all dead”, he said. “We attacked them at the bridge and it gave us an little but precious advantage.”

He waited for a little moment. He did not want to keep talking. But they needed to hear the story.

“Tobul, Rith and Kogsak are deceased. Onul is bleeding to death. Counting Urist, Alath and Dastot, seven of my dwarfs died in the battle.”

A lone dwarf advanced, looking terribly sad. He was the son of Alath, one of the only dwarfs of the colony who were born in the fortress.

“What… Happened to them? How could anything go so wrong?”

“Some goblins ambushers were standing in the woods. We have been flanked. Urist, Dastot and your father died at the surface. We retreated into the fortress, but they were still too many. As I said, I and the others defended the bridge. Even there, it was too hard. I am sorry.”

No other dwarf asked a question. They were all quiet. They knew that another goblin siege was coming. They heard them at the surface while Kol and his soldiers were fighting in front of the main door. For now, Kern and his braves were holding them, but not for long. Twelve dwarfs were up there, fighting to give them some time. Kern was thinking that Kol had much more fighters. He did not knew about the seven dwarfs dead, he did not knew about the upper levels being ravaged… Nor he knew that his wife had been killed in her bed. Kol was the last one in the fortress who could fight.

He was hearing them coming. At least forty goblins and a couple of trolls. He had no choice.

“Go in the tunnels”, he said.”Run for your lives, get in the caverns and seal yourselves in. I will stay here... To hold them. Good luck.”

The dwarfs ran. Fast enough, hoped Kol. A troll was trying to break the door. He took his two axes, placed his helmet correctly, and as the goblins entered to kill the last fighter of Deadgates, he said his last words.

“BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!”

Spoiler (click to show/hide)