Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Companion got new items?  (Read 787 times)

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Companion got new items?
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:44:36 am »

I don't know if this is routine in .18 but a quick search of the forum and wiki didn't turn up much. My adventurer has a lone swordsman as his companion, who was badly injured in an elf attack. She had both left and right hands pierced by arrows and consequently dropped her shield and sword, then passed out from pain. I stood over her body and kept the elves at bay until she woke up and we managed an escape. Although there was no motor nerve damage, companions never pick anything up, so I was pretty sure she was going to have to learn to wrestle, and maybe grapple a knife if she was lucky. I even checked the top page of her inventory to be certain that she had dropped both items. However, on my next quest, to kill a troll, she stole the kill from me by slashing it with a bronze scimitar. Upon inspecting her inventory more closely I found that on the second page, she had a brand new sword and shield, as well as lots and lots of elf jewelry.

I am positive that this is the same companion, as I have said, she is the only follower I have so far, and her old silver scimitar has been replaced with bronze. I guess this must be a feature, just one that I have never encountered before (disarmed companions usually die). I went back to the castle after the elf attack, would this have been when she was re-armed? Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:49:37 am by Squidpalace »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Companion got new items?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:07 pm »

so you happen to retire there right? or did you travel sleep then travel out?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 12:00:51 pm »

I don't know if this is routine in .18 but a quick search of the forum and wiki didn't turn up much. My adventurer has a lone swordsman as his companion, who was badly injured in an elf attack. She had both left and right hands pierced by arrows and consequently dropped her shield and sword, then passed out from pain. I stood over her body and kept the elves at bay until she woke up and we managed an escape. Although there was no motor nerve damage, companions never pick anything up, so I was pretty sure she was going to have to learn to wrestle, and maybe grapple a knife if she was lucky. I even checked the top page of her inventory to be certain that she had dropped both items. However, on my next quest, to kill a troll, she stole the kill from me by slashing it with a bronze scimitar. Upon inspecting her inventory more closely I found that on the second page, she had a brand new sword and shield, as well as lots and lots of elf jewelry.

I am positive that this is the same companion, as I have said, she is the only follower I have so far, and her old silver scimitar has been replaced with bronze. I guess this must be a feature, just one that I have never encountered before (disarmed companions usually die). I went back to the castle after the elf attack, would this have been when she was re-armed? Thanks.

Did her status change to elite swordsdwarf or master swordsdwarf? If, so, she may have automatically gained the weapon, armor, and jewelry at that time.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 12:11:17 pm »

I traveled away from the elf ambush after the swordsman woke up and all the elves bled to death, so she healed. It was after traveling several times that I noticed she had new items.

As for her title, it is still plain swordsman, however her name is quite long and she has at least 8 confirmed notable kills. I don't know if that makes her elite, however the next kill she got after losing her old sword and shield was with her new bronze sword, so I don't know how she could have improved her title between kills.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:03:35 pm »

So I guess when companions earn nobility folks willingly give them a new weapons.
"please miss let us fetch you a BRAND NEW SWORD from Bronze n' Bronze's weaponry and furniture™"
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 09:32:10 pm »

So it looks like a feature? Bronze 'n' Bronze certainly does better stuff than Silver 'n' Copper, who were crap frankly. This companion is the first who I trust to go off on her own in a bandit ambush. Glad I am still finding new things even after so many hours. Thanks.

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 03:42:54 pm »

The same thing happened to me. I had 2 companions, a axeman and a lasher. I was fighting a Hill Titan when he smashed the hand of my lasher who lost his silver whip. After the battle, I slept at the shrine to let them recover. The next day, his hand was healed and he had a new iron whip and his old weapon was still on the ground !!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »

It seems to be related to the script that gives a retired adventurer trophies from all of their kills. There's been a few instances of this happening. So it could be a bug related to a feature. Or a feature.
*Hugs*

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

Or perhaps a bug that will be called a feature and left alone.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow