Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: CATS!!!  (Read 2791 times)

Panthera Leo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CATS!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:20 am »

Two comments:

1) You can get dwarves to do the job of cats as far as vermin is concerned. There's even an industry for processing certain vermin, e.g. liquid fire from lava snakes.

2) If you like fishing, you can arrange for a shelter where they fish - through grates or wells.

On the odd chance I am going to fish, I typically just build (or flood) a covered dock over a lake or ocean. That or link all the muddy pools and dig a small access to the lot of them just under the surface. It's just by that point fishing is either already dangerous or I have no use for it. It's neat! It's easy food and trade. It's just as I already have farms going anyway to feed the stills and leather works by the point I have a protected fishery?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:41:54 am by Panthera Leo »

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re:CATS!!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 11:57:10 am »

I am currently runnning a fortress that survives almost entirely off of cat products. I encountered this problem early on: the problem of adoption.

The best solution is to kill all dwarves who have a preference for cats. Cats will only adopt Dwarves who "like cats for their aloofness." Just put all of your immigrants/new children through a screening. Any offenders should experience an Unfortunate Accident of your choice.

I never knew that. Now I see why not a single cat has been adopted in my fort.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 02:54:24 am »

its worse if you are on a tropical map catching gorillas and elefants for warforce not realising that about 10 of em are like a critical mass in breeding...after 2 years alone 40 elefants 30+ gorillas even if i try to cage everything i got people running around with a following of 4 elefant calves 3 gorilla childs 2 war elefants etc etc ... lag ensues .. the only fun thing is when this happens to a fisher or woodworker outside .. any ambush on them makes the ambusher feel really bad and almost everytime the dwarf can make it away while his pets pound on the attackers or at least provide a meatshield (4 elefant calves+some gorillas can make a huge mess/lock even as childs)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 04:39:55 am »

I've got hippos breeding in my current fort. I can't stop them, because the river they live in is many z levels down, in a deep gorge by itself. They just breed and breed.

Will cutting out vast channels at the inlet and outlet take away some of the water so that my military can handle the job?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:09 am »

I've got hippos breeding in my current fort. I can't stop them, because the river they live in is many z levels down, in a deep gorge by itself. They just breed and breed.

i dont like it but i hate you just now for that ... on my maps hippos  just wander off to never come again  :/

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 08:21:04 am »

Will cutting out vast channels at the inlet and outlet take away some of the water so that my military can handle the job?

Might lower it down. If it sources off the map, your best bet would be to cave in the areas where it comes from. That should block it off, then I'd dig a pit and channel it down to the next cavern layer, or a tree farm (remember grates don't want to just move your problem).
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:41 am »

I don't want it cut off completely, or I'll have no well.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:38 am »

just create a new deeper reservoir next to your well reconnect it with the river and with the well .. if you are fast enough ^^

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 12:08:15 pm »

Dig it out after the hippos are gone.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 02:05:10 pm »

To solve the catsplosion issue in my forts I simply add the [AQUATIC] tag under the female caste info for cats.  This causes all female cats to drown as soon as they spawn on the map, leaving only the few males to hang out and take care of vermin.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 04:08:14 pm »

To solve the catsplosion issue in my forts I simply add the [AQUATIC] tag under the female caste info for cats.  This causes all female cats to drown as soon as they spawn on the map, leaving only the few males to hang out and take care of vermin.

NICE.

See what caste tags allow us to do?

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2010, 05:08:33 pm »

I am surprised nobody has said this, but magma will solve all your problems...
Derp.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »

I am surprised nobody has said this, but magma will solve all your problems...

Magma is so last obsidian!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:17 pm »

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:43:37 pm by Jacob/Lee »
Pages: 1 2 [3]