Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my game wont save more than once  (Read 396 times)

blutack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my game wont save more than once
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:57:40 am »

for some reason my game will not save this on particular world any more, does anyone know a solution.
also is there a way to change the world without dwarf intervention because they make everything take 10 times longer than it should
and im trying to tunnel down three z-levels through empty air in a cavern

blutack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my game wont save more than once
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:18:58 am »

this isnt really a bump more of an update, tried to rebuild all my lost work.
now i have a giant beaver firing webs at my dwarfs. it wasnt there last time and i didnt recieve a message about it arriving.
so... how do i cheat to remove the forgotten beast?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:23:55 am »

Your posts are confusing - could you try to rewrite your questions in a more comprehensible way?

blutack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 09:39:45 am »

sorry if i didnt make much sense. i have 3 questions
is there a way to alter the map with a program while playing the the map
is there a way to kill megabeasts with a program
why wont my game save anymore

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:48:09 am »

theres some weird save game bugs that have been floating about for the last few 31.xx versions though I havent yet hit them in 31.18.  whats version are you running?

Sometimes after an auto or manual save my DF crashes out with a just-in-time debugger notification about an unhandled win32 exception.  This happens after the save and doesnt corrupt the save but gets really annoying.  As time goes on sooner or later this ends up happeneing like everytime i try to save on that particular world.

As far as I am aware theres no way to alter a previously existing world, if you want to keep your fort to have to live with the world it's on.

If your save question was related to why you cant make multiple backup saves in DF then this is because its a roguelike and is designed that way.  If you want multiple backup points for loading saves when stuff goes wrong then you'll have to manually copy the files.

You cant remove megabeasts (or fbs) with any program as far as i know.  its possible some of the hacking-based tools like runesmith allow this but that program in particular is currently outofdate and i know v little about it.

Tunneling down through air in a cavern is a little tricky.  dwarves dont build downwards, you'll need to go around and sink a shaft through one of the cavern walls to reach its floor, from there you can happily build back up toward the roof using b,C,u/d/x
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:50:15 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

blutack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:10:00 am »

thanks for the response, im using the latest version compatible with the mayday tileset.
when it fails to save it is no different than when it does save except the save game is not updated
by the way i wasnt asking for help with the tunneling through air, it was just to demonstrate why i wanted to cheat as i had already done that.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:11:19 am »

DFHack has DFliquids which let you place/erase water or magma
this alone doesnt kill all things - but encasing in obsidian does
About saves - if you are referring to the fact that there are no "save slots"; that unlike most games DF has only the option to "save" and lacks the option to "save as" - you can get around this by manually duplicating save folders. It is also advised to have [AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
in Dwarf Fortress/data/init/d_init.txt

blutack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:20:05 am »

thats great news ancistrus thanks.
but it isnt that a cant save multiple different saves
i cannot save over previous saves or something of the sort.
i hope that clears up the last remaining confusion in this thread.