Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shields, what weapons can/can't be used with them?  (Read 486 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
shields, what weapons can/can't be used with them?
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:45:19 am »

looking on the wiki and i cant find anything on 2handed weapons? dose such a concept exist here? would crossbows and shields work?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: shields, what weapons can/can't be used with them?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:09:24 pm »

I believe you need to use bucklers for crossbows, though I don't use crossbowdwarfs.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 12:10:03 pm »

Strangely, as long as the creature can wield it you can use any weapon with a shield. The only exception is a bow, you need 2 hands for those. Crossbows are fine.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11:34 pm »

Any weapon your dwarves can create is wielded one-handed, including crossbows. Weapons that can't be held in one hand are foreign weapons such as 2-handed swords, pikes, and bows, to name a few.

EDIT: Specifically, whether a weapon can be used one-handedly it detemined by the size of the creature wielding it. For example, kobolds use large daggers in two hands, while dwarves and humans could do so one-handedly.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."