Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attributes and stats?  (Read 1156 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Attributes and stats?
« on: December 07, 2010, 09:30:03 pm »

I keep reading about dwarves that become "Ultra-Mighty, Inexhaustible and Super-dwarven strength" after many years of work. Was this the old 40d version?

The only actual attributes I've seen is with my two Legendary Miners, who both have the Near Inexhaustible. (or similar) I'd imagine a miner growing some toughness or strength, but nope. Just improving the blood and oxygen circulation, I guess.

Discuss?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Attributes and stats?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 09:34:08 pm »

Those 3 attributes were done away with in the DF2010 versions (31.01 and beyond) and replaced/expanded into the more complex version that exists now.

Attributes are present on every dwarf from the start, but for the most part they don't improve much or at all. Indeed, they actually tend strongly to degrade. This appears to be a result of the rusting mechanic, which affects attributes as well as skills, being too fast compared to the possible attribute gain. You will experience significant attribute gains on soldiers, who improve a large number of skills quite quickly and simultaneously, but otherwise, no one will level up attributes unless you turn stat rusting off or way down with a bit of modding.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:38:36 am »

Well, that's a bit disappointing.

Any way to reverse the degrading effects so my dwarves can actually build some strength?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 05:28:45 am »

Skills change attributes now.  They only decay if the skill decays, I believe.

As for preventing that, if you have your military set to train 2-3 months a year and they take care of the siege each winter, you shouldn't have their skills decaying.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 08:37:00 am »

Speaking of dumb stat distribution, swimming apparently doesn't confer any stat gains at all.

I wish Toady reeled in the extreme end of stats some more. Being near-inexhaustible should not be anything resembling normal.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:26:31 pm »

Well, that's a bit disappointing.

Any way to reverse the degrading effects so my dwarves can actually build some strength?
You can turn stat rusting off with a bit of modding. Add the following to the end of the Dwarf entry to turn stat rusting off:

[PHYS_ATT_RATES:STRENGTH:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:AGILITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:TOUGHNESS:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:ENDURANCE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:DISEASE_RESISTANCE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PHYS_ATT_RATES:RECUPERATION:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:ANALYTICAL_ABILITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:CREATIVITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:EMPATHY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:FOCUS:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:INTUITION:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:KINESTHETIC_SENSE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:LINGUISTIC_ABILITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:MUSICALITY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:PATIENCE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:MEMORY:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:SPATIAL_SENSE:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[MENT_ATT_RATES:WILLPOWER:500:NONE:NONE:NONE]

I'm not sure what values would be sane for the actual rusting effect if you want it on-but-less. The default for the last 3 values are 2:3:2, except for DISEASE_RESISTANCE and RECUPERATION which don't change (and won't improve, even with this mod, as they have no linked skills). Higher numbers in those 3 slots make stat loss occur slower.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 01:13:45 pm »

Work. If you want dwarves to remain strong, you need to give them exercise, not just park them in a meeting zone and then complain when they turn into fat basement dwellers. Either that or just massively cheat by removing rust from the game entirely.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 04:33:44 pm »

lolz i read that as remove rust from the gaming industry

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:14:18 pm »

Hmm, might've misinterpreted that.

Yeah, I suck at expressing.
My Legendary miners are inexhaustible, but they have built no strength or toughness at all. I guess I assumed that they 'lost' their strength faster than they could build it. But if skills are related to tasks, I guess miners just don't gain ANY strength nor toughness from mining.

Can I change that? Working in the mines for YEARS should make you stronger and more hardened.
Or maybe a Raws list of what tasks relate to what skills?

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »

Gentlemen, it appears I have bumped.