Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melting ice in furnaces? (Tundra biome, no mud for farms)  (Read 840 times)

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Melting ice in furnaces? (Tundra biome, no mud for farms)
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:09:51 pm »

So Goblins finally took over my cliffside paradise through a backdoor I had accidentally left open *golfclap* - So I thought I'd give the cold tundra a go. To get that Moria feel if you know what I mean :D

Swapped my carpenter for another miner and started digging out a small fortress, made farmspace, dug into the nearby river to get ice - then it struck me. How in Armok do I melt the ice and muddy my farms. Not to mention, satisty my thirsty dorfs in terms of a well (Makes me wonder how they brew anything without water in the first place. Must be some thick ale :o)

I know that Magma could do the trick, but I doubt digging down that far and pumping up the stuff to the surface is feasable (for me atleast) before I run out of foodstuff. :-\

(For the moment I've had to resort to dfhack and spawning water, but that bugs the floortiles I spawn the water on. Not a huge thing, but it feels cheaty. ::))
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melting ice in furnaces? (Tundra biome, no mud for farms)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:15:57 pm »

You got another option from underground farming, above ground farming, that is, if you have soil there :D.
Also,  I suggest you dig down to the caverns, there's plenty of muddy soil there.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 03:17:19 pm »

Do you have a aquifer?

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 03:21:43 pm »

@Demki:
I tried that - the creatures living there didn't care much for me trying to wall off a small section for farming. Had to reload my initial save. :-\

@Deviled: Can't believe I didn't think of that. That seems like an quick and easy solution, thanks. :D

I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »

Alternatively, if you also have access to an ocean biome (and with walruses, there is good reason to!) you can use a water pump, which will desalinate the water as long as you pump it into a smoothed room. 
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »

Don't farm in the cavers, pump water up from them. Less chance of nasties getting in. Make sure you use a fortification to strain the water before it enters your pump stack, wouldn't want a FB destroying the bottom one.

Alternatively, if you also have access to an ocean biome (and with walruses, there is good reason to!) you can use a water pump, which will desalinate the water as long as you pump it into a smoothed room.

Nope, it has to be constructed. It also has to be above water level.

You can irrigate with salt water, though.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 05:22:37 pm »

It's pure tundra so no luck with surface oceans - But I successfully irrigated a couple of farms using the aquifer as well as a well in case the booze runs out. :)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »

It also has to be above water level.

not quite! If you collect the Oceanwater into a cistern first and then draw water from it's bottom level into a special reservior with a diagonal passage, you can pump the water one level up from that smaller room into your constructed reservoir where you build the well above ... the cistern may need a flowout on the toplevel or a closure on the inflow but it works

for a detail refer to axedglided fortress (http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-9810-axeglided) ... the principle there is about drawing from murky pools but in my latest fortress i tapped the ocean and had no issues with this method
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 08:49:41 am by schussel »