Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tomb Criteria  (Read 1098 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Tomb Criteria
« on: December 10, 2010, 11:03:13 am »

So I started a small tomb project to honor two military dwarves who died fending off a goblin ambush alone, and with no other help behind them. Planned on 3x3 tombs, engraved walls, sealed with a glass window and filled with magma permanently. It was coming along just fine...

and then a leech titan showed up, de-blooded the new, 20-strong military, killed three civilians and took the right arm of a glassmaker before being killed in a lucky cave-in attempt.

So now I'm wondering just who deserves tombs here. There was a legendary planter among the killed, along with a mother and child. Most of the military was green as garnierite. The miner who pulled off the cave-in could warrant a tomb as well, especially since he's the ONLY miner I have, and has gotten me out of many such pickles here at Gemspike.

So, what sort of criteria do you people require to give a dwarf more than a random wood coffin in a hole with twenty others? Or in my case, a hole of eighty green glass sarcophagi? I'm not worried about pissing off nobles as I can't designate actual tomb rooms for those already dead, and I lack actual nobles thus far.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Tomb Criteria
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 11:18:31 am »

I have no criteria for "better than a wood coffin in the middle of nowhere." I use stone coffins.

Also, you can't assign tombs posthumously.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 11:27:56 am »

Really depends on the amount of available space. When I have a decent area of unmined rock and high master engravers, I just dig out a large cemetery, smooth and engrave the whole thing, and set up burial receptacles. Non-legendary civilians get stone coffins. Military dwarves and legendaries get metal sarcophagi, and their own section of the cemetery. Nobles get mausoleums built into their apartments, for the most part.

When I have considerably less room, or just not the right circumstances, I shove all the dead into stone coffins in a heap.

When I have an abundance of room and resources, I build an entire funeral district. Sometimes, this includes a winding maze of 3x3 chambers with coffins and statues lining the walls.
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 11:37:14 am »

I usually integrate niches into one of my many many hallways and dump my dead there.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 11:45:47 am »

I have no criteria for "better than a wood coffin in the middle of nowhere." I use stone coffins.

Also, you can't assign tombs posthumously.

I know. I said as much in the my first post. I just want to give the dwarves who deserve it something better than one coffin out of a hundred glass ones in a big hall.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 11:47:07 am »

I would give them kimberlite coffins.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 11:58:39 am »

Heroic actions, like you've described, earn a spot in the Dwarven Hall of Heroes.  Depending on their position in life I decorate their small 5x5 tomb with things that relate to their accomplishments, like my first (and to this date only) elite Hammer Dwarf getting cave in traps and weapon racks placed around.  I also fiddled with the weapon stockpiles to get my artifact warhammer on his tomb, but then decided he wasn't /that/ important.

Hateweaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »

I generally use lead coffins.  Gotta make something with all that metal and this way it doesn't turn into bin or a barrel that weighs 10,000 pounds.  Plus if a dwarf ever dies of radiation - the lead coffin will protect the fortress!

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »

My dead dwarves fill the halls around the bedrooms, there are currently more coffins than beds... and a population of 80, normal popcap... they are related.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »

As soon as a military dwarf gets a title, he gets a 3x4 tomb with a coffin made of his favorite metal/stone (depending on whether it'll enrage the queen or not).  I try and put a tunnel behind these tombs filled with slabs to signify their acheivements: marble slabs for goblin kills, slate slabs for kobold kills, masterwork & engraved marble slabs for forgotten beast/megabeast kills, kaolinite slabs for injuries sustained.  I'm debating on what to use for trolls right now.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »

It is possible to indirectly assign coffins if you put everyone's remains in a 'graveyard' stockpile (renamed, I think?) and forbid everyone's remains but the dwarf you are interested in honoring. The stockpile part isn't strictly necessary, but it does make forbidding other dead easier.

Or you can make slabs, and consign the actual bones of your dwarves to the magma sea.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 01:21:15 pm »

I generally use lead coffins.  Gotta make something with all that metal and this way it doesn't turn into bin or a barrel that weighs 10,000 pounds.  Plus if a dwarf ever dies of radiation - the lead coffin will protect the fortress!

As an added plus, Superman won't be able to see through it.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 02:06:39 pm »

It is possible to indirectly assign coffins if you put everyone's remains in a 'graveyard' stockpile (renamed, I think?) and forbid everyone's remains but the dwarf you are interested in honoring. The stockpile part isn't strictly necessary, but it does make forbidding other dead easier.

Or you can make slabs, and consign the actual bones of your dwarves to the magma sea.

I actually haven't considered either option.  Those are pretty brilliant, thank you.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »

As soon as a military dwarf gets a title, he gets a 3x4 tomb with a coffin made of his favorite metal/stone (depending on whether it'll enrage the queen or not).  I try and put a tunnel behind these tombs filled with slabs to signify their acheivements: marble slabs for goblin kills, slate slabs for kobold kills, masterwork & engraved marble slabs for forgotten beast/megabeast kills, kaolinite slabs for injuries sustained.  I'm debating on what to use for trolls right now.

Microcline, to represent the blood of the beasts spilled on your warrior's weapons.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »

I'm kinda doing the opposite of the first suggestion; throwing everybody into coffins, and then dumping out those who are getting special treatment. Saves me from having to drag through forbidding everything.