Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need feed back for new City Design  (Read 4761 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need feed back for new City Design
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 06:10:10 am »

You could have the central area as space for dwarven apartments, which increases efficiency. The dining area can be below it.

Also, a problem with your current design. you've only left 1 wall between most things and smoothing/engraving only does one side, s you'll get rooms being completely bland, despite the wall showing as engraved. You need two walls between things to ensure smoothing/engraving in every room.
Are you sure that engravings only apply to one wall?  I was under the impression that an engraving affected all sides of the wall and dwarves only stood on one side for simplicities sake... (even though it being on one side makes more literal sense.)

I'm having trouble finding it, but I know that there was a very detailed thread showing the value of rooms and smoothing/engraving, but that was last version and the wiki doesn't mention it. (although the wiki has NOTHING on room value for 2010)

From what I remember, it was only a problem if the room was designated and the wall then engraved on the 'wrong' side - if the wall was engraved first, the room designation would include the engraving on the 'right' side.  Who knows what it's like in this version though.  I generally avoid double-thickness smoothed walls because the default tileset makes them look messy (there are connections between both sides rather than 2 parallel single walls)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 08:20:09 am »

Think I will move the whole thing down a level and star fresh, also think I shall build some additional levels but only the middle part and not the big outter circles. thank for all the advice!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 09:06:36 am »

From what I remember, it was only a problem if the room was designated and the wall then engraved on the 'wrong' side - if the wall was engraved first, the room designation would include the engraving on the 'right' side.  Who knows what it's like in this version though.

Oooh, this would actually make sense, since I believe rooms need to be re-designated to recalculate value when you add doors as well. (My understanding of engravings was that smoothing counts for both sides but engravings only from the side they're engraved from, but who knows whether that is or ever was how it worked; it definitely makes laying out bedrooms and crypts difficult if you want to make sure every interior gets its own full engravings.)
Pages: 1 [2]