Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do caskets cause roaches?  (Read 818 times)

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do caskets cause roaches?
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:55:10 pm »

Fort I've been playing the past few days, been using a danger room (or spot). Basically just a 1x1 burrow with a 10 training spear trap, have squads defend that spot etc.

Well...it's had a fairly high death rate, both with squads with lousy gear and random pets and civs wandering through (in middle of 5 wide hallway at entrance). So I have about 20-30 caskets lining my 5 wide hallway, full of dwarves, pets, etc etc...well recently I've gotten a BAD roach problem on top of the wooden caskets, not the 10 stone ones. Like, the fill the entire 5 wide hallway for about 10 squares, so literally 40-50 roaches in my hallway.

Is this a feature or just a coincidence?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:56:56 am by omniclasm »

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do caskets causes roaches?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:58:10 pm »

At the risk of being treated like a noble and being transfered to the strange room with the bauxite furnature and the strangely hot floodgate,  I'd reccomend letting a couple cats (male ones) out of their cages/pits/deathraps long enough for them to murder your vermin problem..
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

PWRFLSTRGN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »

i would say coincidence, as for your deathtrap, er, danger room, you should only use one spear instead of 10. press 'd' after you select a spear. put this trap in its own room off the barracks, somewhere pets and babies wont get impaled.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »

I don't mind the impalement...it cuts down on overpopulation and cats.

Plus 10x increases training speed by crazy amounts. Can go from nothing to legendary in approximately 2 minutes.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:14:15 pm »

i would say coincidence, as for your deathtrap, er, danger room, you should only use one spear instead of 10. press 'd' after you select a spear. put this trap in its own room off the barracks, somewhere pets and babies wont get impaled.

Are you using training spears or menacing spikes in your weapon traps?!?

I've never used more then one spear, but I've heard that more train faster. I've never used a 1x1 room, 3x3 is always my minimum size, maybe that has something to do with it. As for pets and babies getting impaled... well it's going to happen if your pets (and babies) aren't in cages, I swear to Amrok they are attracted to that room like flies are to shit. Still you want the room on a dead end off to the side and not in the dining hall... Unless you're really sick like me.

Now if you would want to avoid this for some reason (the number one reason to want to avoid death is that you're an elf lover.. you dirty elf lover) you can remove anyone from your military that has 'an aloofness for cats'. Don't put your animal trainers in the military either, dogs tend to follow them around. Removing mothers from the military is a good way to keep their kids alive.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »

This thread wasn't about the impalement...not only is it an easily solvable, it is actually intended.

The roaches...oh my god the roaches.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:02:19 pm »

This thread wasn't about the impalement...not only is it an easily solvable, it is actually intended.

The roaches...oh my god the roaches.
caskets dont cause roaches, lack of cats causes roaches. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:30:40 am »

Can we get a screenshot of the roaches? I'd like to see what you're talking about.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 04:50:35 am »

Not really related to the roaches...but my fort of ill-fate has had an interesting year.

Started suffering from overpopulation, so started drafting lots of dwarves into the military...which promptly put them on the danger point. Few deaths, near 80 coffins, and about 40 legendary military dwarves.

Decided to help my overpopulation even more by...opening the bowels of the earth. Initial wave of clowns took out about 15 of my dwarves...and that's only because half a dozen of them had dust that made everyone sick and hurt like mad. Huge tantrum spirals ensued, I have more melancholic/raving mad dwarves now than I do normal ones...though still most of my remaining military because they are used to death so aren't really bothered. Got a few butcher shops set up to make use of the clown bodies and slaughter animals...which is a quicker way to get food...farming just takes so long that tantruming dwarves destroy it before any gain.

And the second vile force of darkness arrives. 70-80 various invaders, mostly giant bat riding goblins, along with trolls and the such. All of them dead, one military dwarf loss. Fending off the hordes with one hand, and keeping goblins at bay with the other.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:11:03 am by omniclasm »