Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possibly starting a law firm:  (Read 1229 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Possibly starting a law firm:
« on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:38 pm »

Bad idea, never mind.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:30:14 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly starting a law firm:
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 03:25:32 pm »

For what my lawyer friends have told me, going alone is tough unless you build up a reputation, which is done by working in someone else's buffette and/or making contacts by becoming a state attorney.

Then again, my lawyer ex did set up her own firm last year out of nowhere....

Then again, she is likely getting lots of parental support....
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 06:35:09 pm »

Just getting your name in the yellow-pages and maybe putting out an advertisement is a good start.  I know from experience that a lot of people don't know any lawyers or anyone who knows a lawyer.  So when they need a will or deed or minor criminal defense, they start thumbing through the yellow-pages and Google, and call around for a good offer.  Provided you offer a competitive price, and maybe have an alphabetically high-up name, you should get some amount of initial customers.  And y'know, tell everyone you know and get on all the lists and stuff.

Make sure you talk to the actual local people working in the city/county/state offices.  You have to know how to deal with them.  They probably won't respect you much just coming out of school, but you have to get your name out there.  See if you can get fliers or notices up around the local bail-bond shops too, you have to go where the business is.

All that being said, you're probably going to work for someone else's firm, or a corporation, or public offices.  Starting out is like that.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:52:40 pm »

Remember, while Aardvark Plumbing is clever, Aardvark Law is questionable.  If you're trying to be first alphabetically, pick something that at least makes sense.

Also, the government employs an awful lot of lawyers, and not just for trials, so if things get tight, you might as well try for a government job.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:58:17 pm »

man lawyers suck why would you want to be one
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:59:34 am »

Surely you need to work for a law firm for a few years before setting up your own. It doesn't make sense to start open up having never worked for one before. This applies to all professions.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »

Also, the government employs an awful lot of lawyers, and not just for trials, so if things get tight, you might as well try for a government job.

This is true, many, many, many lawyers work for the government and its variety of departments.  There are legislative departments that draft legislation, advise legislators, and draft budget proposals.  Lawmakers never (that i've seen working for the WI senate) draft their own bills and amendments.  Working for a reference bureau somewhere might not be the most glorious work for an attorney, but it will get your feet on the ground.

There are also the administrative departments, like your state's natural resources, work force development, health and services, ag, transportation, commerce departments.

State level government would be a good place to start looking.  Once the economy picks up the private sector will start cherry picking young talent back out of government jobs.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »

My brother-in-law is a lawyer and the only way he could make starting a firm viable was partnering with another lawyer. The downside is that eventually everyone always realizes their partner is a dick and you have a messy split.

Another thing he said was if you don't get an offer before leaving school you will have a hard time finding a good job at a firm. Apparently law firms use the idea that all good lawyers are already working for someone and are much less interested in hiring someone who finished law school last year.

Just some info from new england.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »

So, yeah, I'm also a third year law student.  The job market is totally hosed right now.  It sucks.  I'm lucky enough to be one of the 10% - 15% of my class that has a job right now, and it still sucks because all my friends are in the same boat as you.

I can't offer any specific advice about putting out your shingle, but I do have a friend who graduated from Lewis and Clark in Portland a few years back and started doing exactly what you're talking about.  I think he's managing to pay his bills and not starve by picking up business from friends/networking and hanging out around the courthouse. If you want to PM me I can see about getting you in touch for advice.

Also, don't give up on the job search just yet.  It's unlikely that you'll find a big firm job, but smaller and mid-sized firms don't make hiring decisions nearly as early as big firms do.  It's entirely likely that some of those firms will have more work than they're staffed for come graduation time.  Keep those resumes going out and keep networking like crazy.

Ultimately, I believe the requirements for success are the same regardless of which task you have in front of you: interest, commitment, and ability.  Anyone who can pass the bar has the ability.  Just make sure that you maintain the commitment and interest despite initial setbacks.
At last, she is done.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »

Hard business to build up alone....

Money needs to come from somewhere to keep you afloat.... for the first 2-3 years...
I can suggest trying to get a secretary / someone other then yourself to do the money collection from clients.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 06:06:35 pm »

If you ever do get partners, and you guys name the firm "Dewey, Cheetum & Howe" I promise I will seek you guys out the first time I need legal representation. Just so I can hear that read off to the court reporter.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:30 pm »

No, name yourselves Wolfram&Heart instead.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 06:27:45 pm »

My friend who graduated undergrad from Stanford law and was stuck at a shitty law firm temp job basically shuffling paper recently lucked out and got hired by Google law technical assistance and now works at their Mountain View corporate, which is pretty much everyone's dream workplace.

I think the key is even though the job market is completely hosed, to continue throwing yourself out there and padding your resume. Make ends meet any way you can until you can strike it big.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.