Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, from Pure to Modd'd in seconds  (Read 1020 times)

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
So, from Pure to Modd'd in seconds
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:46:53 am »

To start, when I first it felt like started my dwarves worked so sloooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwly... I found out about Speed:0. Figured, hey, I'm new and not really doing anything special, might as well see what they can do at top speed. I really need to turn that off on my next fort, but this ones actually surviving so I can't bear to part with it until it dies a proper dwarvish death. Fast forward A few days, when I'm seeing blood stains everywhere from recently hunting horses. I read up about DF clean, part of DFhack so figure, eh why not? its not really altering the game since i have no FBs or FB blood to worry about yet. Then, after I started messing with DFhack to get rid of the blood[seriously it was being tracked everywhere, my hospital well/Cistern was all red  :'( ], I decided to play with some of the other features of DFhack. I found the DF dig to be quite nice for getting veins. at least i wont have to dig one square at a time. I mean I'm not really doing anything to change the game yet... right? Then I when I finally got more then 12 dwarves and decided to start comparing skills they have, this proved to be hard by eye, so I started making a spreadsheet. 20 more dwarves arrived. I wanted to pull my hair out. Oh hey, something called dwarf therapist? hey thats exactly what I'm trying to do here by... hand... eh, Its still legit, I've just sped up my dwarves is all...
Also along the way a few tile sets to play with, an image mapper [its quite nice, that DF height mapper] and now I'm sitting on some txt files to add in guns as soon as I read up on how to add them to the raws correctly. I must have guns. and Orcs. but mostly guns. maybe a way for non dwarf immigrants... i wonder if someone got a mod working that does that...

So, I gotta ask. Does anyone play in real dwarf mode [I.E. no mods, no addons, no tilesets, no 3rd party programs, well maybe excluding visualizers and tile sets since they don't really effect the game in any way I can think of.]

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: So, from Pure to Modd'd in seconds
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:02:52 am »

I do from time to time to ensure the spirit of DF vanilla still flow in my mod.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:18:47 am »

I play vanilla, most definitely, it's fairly fun. Never touched any third part programs for actual play, just modding ease.

As for your ideas: only way I can fathom getting non-dwarf immigrants is by making said non-dwarves into separate castes of the dwarf creature entry. As for guns, no real proper guns, but some mods try anyway to some effect like wasteland or my own. As for orcs, perfectly possible.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 09:52:19 am »

Mmmhmm, I just got the mental knowhow to get cheat engine to let me embark in no embark sites, so adding the txt files in the right spot will be my next challenge. the orc thing I can just toss in that Civ mod, they come with it right?

oh found the orcs one in genesis. I hope its still compatable with .16, Not enough added that I want to start from scratch just yet...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 09:55:23 am by Frosty_Dorf »

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:16:38 pm »

Eh, the only mods I have are a blast furnace, that's basically 1 1/4 better than a smelter (25% better) and one creature I made composed of flames and it's just basically a herd animal.

But yes, I do play vanilla DF from time to time.
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:43:16 pm »

amigod therapist is soooooo nice. that would have taken hours, instead it took... half an hour XD