Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I have an idea I want to try...  (Read 1505 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: I have an idea I want to try...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 02:03:00 am »

I've managed to get an empty cage onto the trade depot via deconstructing the floor under it and it falling onto the depot. It still didn't count as "at the depot" however, so dwarves still had to come up and move it a couple of spaces. So I dropped the cage from above the tile where the dwarves carried it the first time. This time a dwarf came up and took the cage to the depot, but didn't move it a single tile. Now I need to test if a hostile creature is released even if they don't actually move the cage. I need a living test subject to see if this is going to work. I'll post again with the results.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 03:31:15 am »

Presumably something harmless and expendable like a kitten, right?

It would be a shame to let a hydra loose for the 3rd time.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 03:34:48 am »

A kitten wouldn't work, would it? I was under the impression that only hostile creatures could get out of the cage this way. Since I have no goblins nearby, I need to piss off either the humans or the elves, but I've read that elves aren't so easily angered now. What would be the best way to do this?

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 03:42:52 am »

When the dwarf picks the cage up on a trade depot job he will remove any non-tamed animal from it. So even if it is on the same square it will still be let loose.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 07:43:07 am »

If you drop it directly above the trade depot, unforbid it, then select the depot > g > select the cage for trading, the distance reads zero, right? It wouldn't need a move to depot job then, would it?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 08:01:39 am »

It would be on the same square as the depot, but it would not be in the depot building. (items listed when you hit T) If you looked in the list of items to bring to the depot for trading it would say that it is 0 tiles away, but if you selected it you would have to wait for a dwarf to pick it up, and actually put it in the depot. When they did that the enemy would escape.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 08:39:20 am »

Heh. You could try dropping the cage there *before* the traders arrive (and make sure you have no stockpile for it to be hauled back to.)
You never know if that works. Perhaps, the bring to depot job is generated because the item was not yet in the depot (at distance 0) when the traders arrived.

Yeah I know, it's a long shot.

I'm thinking this, because, when items for trade are left behind at the depot from a previous trade, and you select them to be traded when the next caravan comes, they immediatly become available to trade with, instead of generating a bring to depot job first.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:41:23 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:59 am »

Heh. You could try dropping the cage there *before* the traders arrive (and make sure you have no stockpile for it to be hauled back to.)
You never know if that works. Perhaps, the bring to depot job is generated because the item was not yet in the depot (at distance 0) when the traders arrived.

Yeah I know, it's a long shot.

I'm thinking this, because, when items for trade are left behind at the depot from a previous trade, and you select them to be traded when the next caravan comes, they immediatly become available to trade with, instead of generating a bring to depot job first.
Because they're still sitting in the depot's inventory. Not because it's on top of  a depot square.

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 02:15:04 pm »

What if the code's so unoptimized that what ever's at zero distance is said to be inside the depot?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 02:51:19 pm »

What if the code's so unoptimized that what ever's at zero distance is said to be inside the depot?
It isn't like that. Buildings have inventories like dwarves and humans do. Something is not in your inventory when you stand on it.
Pages: 1 [2]