Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: creating a fountain  (Read 1139 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
creating a fountain
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:57 pm »

I was wondering if it was possible to pressurize water so much that it would shoot up into the air, kind of like a fountain. Beyond water coming up through the well to flood your base.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: creating a fountain
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:30 pm »

In the name of !!SCIENCE!!, do it!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:14:59 pm »

Nope... water pressures doesn't work like that. If you pressurize water and let it go upwards through a small hole, it will just flood everything, especially dining halls. With enough pressure, it may go up 2-3 levels first, but it won't be a true fountain but more of a water pyramid that quickly spreads in all directions. Water is rather chunky in DF... like very heavy syrup or something.

But i have to agree with UristMcDwarf: Do it anyway. For SCIENCE! (or !!SCIENCE!! if you use magma instead of water)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:32:04 pm »

I'll give it an attempt as part of my megaproject.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »

Make a 3x3 square of walls 1-2 zlevels high with grates surounding it. Pressurize the water from beneath. You should get a nice fountain effect (will waterfallish kind of fountain - not a gyser).

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »

It can be done if you build a big enough drain.

I built one in one fort, in the main hall. Water flowed from cavern system 1 onto cavern system two through my hall. There was a zone with a lot of grates, so dwarves could step under the water without ill effects.

Naturally this was a fps killer. Though in more recent iterations I've found it to be less so than I expected. The main FPS kill came when pools in the lower cavern began to overflow.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 01:52:45 am »

This hardly seems impossible, though I don't know exactly how pressured the river might keep it:
1. Design a room for your waterfall beneath a major source of water, preferably a river.
2. Build a channel for the water to flow down outside of the room, and have it lead to a reservoir beneath the fountain.
3. When you want to have the fountain flowing, simply open up the floodgates. The water pressure should push it out of the top of the fountain.
4. Design drainage, preferably leading outside the map/to some other infinite reservoir.