Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Greatest Loyalty Coup Ever  (Read 1015 times)

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greatest Loyalty Coup Ever
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:33:28 am »

It all started, following the FUN model, with a strange occurance. The first caravan had arrived, and I was excited as the announcement came on. In the next frame, the merchant went berserk. I laughed and managed the fortress while trying to come up with a way to loot the horse without becoming enemies with the civ. Strangely enough, a short time later, the horse went berserk as well. The merchant had already killed himself by attacking wild mountain goats, but the closest this horse ever came to being killed was lying down and standing up. Impatient, I sent my ONLY military dwarf, Kivish Likotelis to take care of it. Kivish, who had trained up to skilled in fighter, shield user and sword user by this time, and novice or so in other skills like dodging and armor user. Nonetheless, he quickly dispatched the horse.

What I did not know was that the horse was also part of the parent civ. Oh well.

The military dwarf became an enemy of the fortress while being the only military force available. I was bored to death of this fort so I decided to have this man wipe out the fortress for me. Since he was effectively blocked from fortress supplies due to job cancellation, I worked out a way to funnel food and supplies to him. Unfortunately, because I had a couple dogs, there were some complications that were quickly solved by Kivish's pure badassery. The three war dogs jumped on him, who, at the time had only his clothes and a wooden shield. He bashed each of them in the head, jamming the GODDAMN skull through the brain. The fort's fate was sealed.

I assigned him to burrows located in a corner of the map while another corner was being filled with the armor, weapons and supplies from the caravan. Afterwards, I removed the burrow and he instantly took the items. Now for the slaughter.

Sixteen Dwarves left

I stationed him on the fortress entrance, where he chased down his wife then brutally beat her with his fists, pommel and shield. Guess his blade wasn't good enough. he became unhappy that his wife had died and he had to endure the decay of a friend. On the bright side, he took joy in slaughter.

Fifteen Dwarves left

In order to consolidate the survivors for quick killing, I cancelled all jobs and put a meeting area at the bottom of my main staircase, as well as a burrow named "Gulag." Most of the people were able to escape Kivish's wrath at first while he chased down single opponents, but were soon cornered in the bowels of the fort.

13 Dwarves left

The expedition leader tantrumed. He killed a farmer then calmed down. Unfortunately, he calmed down just in time to see Kivish with eyes unclouded.

11 Dwarves left

By now there were some dwarves who were badly injured but could crawl. They all were resting at the hospital. You can guess what happens.

6 Dwarves left

Kivish wandered the quickly emptying halls back to the Gulag, where his daughter huddled in a corner. Needless to say, he was unhappy about her death.

5 Dwarves left

I decided to give the fortress a fighting chance and organized the remaining people into a squad and sent them at Kivish.

1 Dwarf Left

In the end, Kivish randomly tantrumed and ceased in his isolation. Checking legends, he had 15 notable kills and 3 other kills (the dogs). Because history has not progressed much, all is known is that he fled into the the Twisted Carapace.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest Loyalty Coup Ever
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:28:47 am »

I approve.
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 03:49:20 am »

he became unhappy that his wife had died and he had to endure the decay of a friend. On the bright side, he took joy in slaughter.
Voices in his head
V1 - Kivish, you're true patriot! You've just killed a member of enemy clan! They're killing our citizens, it's just proper revenge!
V2 - Oh NOOOO, my love!!! God, who did that to her?! They'll pay for it!!!
V1 - Hey! Another one! KILL HIM NOW!!!

He's real schizo.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:42:46 pm »

...Kivish with eyes unclouded.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:14:11 pm »

*Applause*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

fuzzywolf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 02:22:14 am »

The epic nature of your story lured me out of lurking, where I have lain for nigh on two years.  Huzzah!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 02:34:55 am »

Excellent, loyalty cascades are always fun
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 02:49:31 am »

Glorious  :'(
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:51 am »

now find him in adventure mode and see what he has to say...
This is a blank sig.