Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No more cavern monsters?????  (Read 2653 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more cavern monsters?????
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 01:36:50 pm »

Demons are randomly generated, so they're not in the raws normally. They're created as part of the worldgen. There may be a tag demons use that give then unlimited population, and you may be able to put that tag in for other more mundane creatures, but I don't know what the tag is.

Vermin actually does have a limited population. Or at least the cavern vermin do. Or at least the small cave spiders and fish run out very quickly. Even a single fisherdwarf can deplete the entire map of fish in short order, and spiders only seem to do their silk thing early on and then vanish, so silk industries can only work with captured GCS's. :(

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 01:43:00 pm »

This is major SUCK. Are there no measures to be taken? I also do long-timey forts, and I'd be loathe to run out of creatures. I mean, what about migration!?  >:(
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 01:44:08 pm »

I think this is a good opportunity for SCIENCE!

I'll try a cat fortress. 2x2 embark, invasions turned off, and embark only with cats. Lots and lots of cats. Let them hunt down all of the vermin on the surface, and test to see if the vermin population on the surface can be entirely exterminated eventually.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 01:45:50 pm »

This is major SUCK. Are there no measures to be taken? I also do long-timey forts, and I'd be loathe to run out of creatures. I mean, what about migration!?  >:(

Migrants, caravans, and sieges, IIRC, are generated at the moment they enter the map. They do not currently exist off map, they are literally created, new to the world, when they appear at the edge of the map.

There are some exceptions to this, such as local leaders or trade liaisons, but your average soap maker, elf merchant, or goblin spearcatcher are created at the point of entry on the map, so their population is endless.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 01:52:55 pm »

Hold on my man. I meant migrating creatures like camels, cave dwellers and other animalia. Not sentients.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 01:59:26 pm »

On a couple of forts I have noticed that my Goblin friends managed to die off, Is this some sort of glitch or do they reduce population of their civ.

The leaders disappeared from the civ page and sieges stopped.  Ideas?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2010, 02:02:42 pm »

Fucking Hell. If I'd known that creatures go extinct no matter what...

...I planned to do my fortress as a multi-reclamation fort. Built to last the ages, even if tantrum spirals or famine should kill all inhabitants. But if the embark will run out of creatures anyways, I'll just interject an adventurer round in between reclamations and depopulate the entire world.

DIE PROPERLY IF YOU HAVE TO DAMMIT. THE AGE OF DEATH AND EMPTINESS, RAWR!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2010, 09:18:10 pm »

Here's a randomly generated demon:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly unique about it with regards to its population, aside from [DEMON] and [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5]

[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:X:X] is where you encounter the critter. 1 is the top cavern, 2 is the middle cavern, 3 is the lower cavern, 4 is the magma ocean, and 5 is hell.

[POPULATION_NUMBER:5:10] [CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:5]   <====this part is completely mundane, like what you'd see with a regular lion or other large predator in a jungle. No idea why demons have an unlimited population.

Any thoughts on this?

I want endless swarms of yeti. ENDLESS DAMNIT!  >:(
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:22:42 pm by Hyndis »
Pages: 1 [2]