Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Roll to Cross Animals: DEAD  (Read 8985 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Cross Animals: Turn 9: Dialing Anger
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2011, 11:37:15 pm »

Out of curiosity, Brian sneaked forward to try to listen to what Nook was saying.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2011, 11:52:26 pm »

OH NO, NOW I HAVE TWO RTDS I NEED TO UPDATE THAT I CAN'T BLAME ON THE PLAYERS.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2011, 11:55:21 pm »

EDIT: Snap, wrong place.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Cross Animals: Turn 10: The Challenge
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2011, 04:29:19 pm »

Turn 10
6 PM, Tuesday, May 3rd

Quote from: Brian
Out of curiosity, Brian sneaked forward to try to listen to what Nook was saying.
Quote from: Horatio
Horatio will accompany what's-her-face to the coffee shop, order a large breakfast and daintily stuff his face-- all whilst trying to find out about this town he's found himself in.
Quote from: Richard
Intrigued, Richard attempted to sneak closer. If it looked like he would be discovered, he would GTFO. Either way, once he was done eavesdropping he would head outside, check his map, and then go locate his house.
Quote from: Mathew
Stretching out his hand again toward the raccoon Mathew shook back with equal, if not greater, vigor.

Spoiler: Player locations (click to show/hide)

Richard crept forward, nearing the reception desk. He heard Pelly say a few more things then fall silent. It was too late to catch the rest of the conversation now. Pelly looked back and noticed Richard was still there.

"Can I help you with anything else?" She took a deep breath.

"Oh, no, just lost in thought. Never mind, I'll be out of your hair now!" Richard headed for the door. Mathew had moved fast - he was nowhere to be seen. It was probably time to move on.

Horatio made his decision. He wiped his clammy hands on his shirt (nonchalantly, of course).

"Ah yes, of course! I would be delighted," He put on his best "friendly villager" grin. "I'm certain that Mopeville's cuisine shall be no less grand than the lovely welcome I've received!"

Sylvia clasped her hands together. "Oh, excellent! It's a bit of a walk, though."

She led him across a two patches of trees, around a hill and past a set of steps. After several minutes, they reached a very large building.

"You first," Horatio said.

~~~

Horatio took the first sip.

It was exquisite coffee. Rich, without losing that half-bitter aftertaste that forced you to drink a little more just to drown it out.

"Wonderful. Celeste is quite the barista." He was enamored with the coffee, but there were more important things brewing.

The clock above the cafe's counter ticked loudly. Tick.

"Oh, yes. So... you're new in town, tick-tock?" Sylvia waited for him to swallow, then took a sip out of her own cup.

Tock.

Horatio wasn't dumb. On the contrary, he was quite smart. He knew when someone was beginning a battle of wits. He could read her like an open book.

"Oh, certainly. Very new. Just arrived today, in fact." He took a single bite of his omelette.

Tick.

"Where did you live before now?" She chopped her omelette once with her fork - hard enough to make a sound - then took a bite of it.

Tock.

"Earth. Somewhere on it, at least, ho-ho." Horatio squinted at her, but refused to eat or drink. You tell me something first, woman.

Tick. Tock.

"I've lived here all my life." The correct response. She slurped her coffee loudly, but he had already changed the playing field by not doing the same. "My, my, it looks like we've really drawn out this breakfast. Look at the time!"

Tick.

"Oh, I don't have to! My mental clock is excellent." He sipped his coffee once more, taking it slow this time. It was his turn to ask the questions. "Isn't yours?"

Tock.

"You can never be too sure whether time's really ticking when you're not paying attention, tick-tock." Sylvia looked down at her omelette, then back up at him. Two could play at that game.

Tick. Tock.

"Most people can't, no. But I'm quite good at keeping the time." Horatio allowed her the next question. He scarfed down a larger portion of his omelette in one fell swoop.

Tick.

"And what does your mental clock say, mister time-keeper?" Sylvia was getting impatient with his persistence, but she drank coffee until her cup was less than half-full. He knew that she knew that he knew something was going on around here. But he wouldn't be the first to hint at it.

Tock.

"Hum. Let's see here, shall we? I arrived at 1 A.M. based on Kapp'n's clock, so with all my activities in this short period that should mean it's about... 2:40 A.M. How close am I?" He knew that he was very close.

Tick.

"Why don't you check that clock up there by the counter, tick-tock?" Sylvia sat and frowned at him.

Tock.

Horatio examined the clock from his seat two rows of tables away from the counter. Celeste sat quietly under it, playing with her phone.

"That's a lie." Horatio slammed his right fist on the table. Sylvia didn't budge. "That's a lie!"

Tick.

6 P.M. He couldn't believe it. Sylvia just shook her head solemnly.

She leaned forward and whispered to him. "We're trapped inside the same field of whatever it is that's been ripping apart time and space in New York City. You know the worst part?"

Tock.

Horatio couldn't find a single word.

"The worst part is that it started here, tick-tock."

Tick. Tock.

"Ye-e-e-es! A-a-a-i l-i-i-i-ke i-i-i-t v-ery much. I'm Mathew Fan by the way."

Nook stopped shaking his hand, but Mathew continued with just as much vigor.

"It looks really great. I'm just not sure if I can afford it." Mathew stopped shaking Nook's hand.

"Oh, don't worry, hrm? The house is only a mere 12,300 bells. Highly affordable." Nook knocked on the house's outer walls a couple times.

"Oh... but I only have 3,000 bells on me." Mathew looked depressed. He was still two months' work away.

"Oh, don't worry about that. You can come work for me along with your friend Brian in my shop, yes yes?" That was an offer Mathew couldn't refuse. "You'll have it paid off in a jiffy!"

The two made the transaction, and Nook ran off in the direction of his shop, telling Mathew to meet him there.

Brian opened the door ever so quietly. He expected to get an earful of Nook badmouthing one of his clients for not paying up or something. Instead, Nook was nowhere to be seen.

"Oh, you're still there. Good."

"Whoa!" Brian jumped. Nook had appeared just outside his field of vision. He could have sworn the guy wasn't there a moment ago.

"Now, about the task," Nook went straight for the throat when dealing with employees. "I'll have you deliver a package to the Mayor. You can't open it yourself, alright? So no peeking. The Mayor has requested the utmost privacy when delivering this box."

Nook handed Brian a tightly-wrapped cardboard box.

Brian started: "Where can I-"

"By the wishing well. On your map." Nook headed through the shop door.

"But I don't have a-"

"Here." He handed Brian a Town Map. That was easy.

Player List
Spoiler: Brain/Bdthemag (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Horatio/Yoink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mathew/KineseN (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:50:54 pm by freeformschooler »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Cross Animals: Turn 10: The Challenge
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 05:11:14 pm »

he would head outside, check his map, and then go locate his house.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Re: Roll to Cross Animals: Turn 10: The Challenge
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2011, 07:06:26 am »

Now that Mathew had himself a house and what seemed like a job it was time to start making a living. He went for the raccoons shop. Hopefully he would find something to do that would earn him much in a short span of time.

Quote from: Mathew
"Is it just me or is it getting slightly darker?"

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Cross Animals: Turn 1: Beginnings
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:14 am »

Horatio was silent for a long moment, simply staring agape at his dining companion. The small *plink* of his monocle as it slipped off and landed in his teacup went unnoticed as he sat there, speechless.
HORATIO
"Wh-what, what?" 
His voice came out as an uncertain croak, and with a trembling hand he grabbed up his cup to take a calming drink of tea, abandoning gentlemanly decorum to take a few large gulps of the stuff, coughing and spluttering in an unbecoming manner as he nearly choked on his lost monocle. Finally, dabbing tea from his front with a napkin, he managed to find some more words.

HORATIO
"What on Earth are you talking about, Mrs Nook? I say, if this is some sort of joke... Well, it would not be one I found particularly funny, that is for certain! ...Please, goodness, do explain. Start from the beginning, what has been going on here? I had a funny feeling about this place since the moment I arrived, and evidently it was not simply the residents' uncanny eye for decor!"

((Sorry for not posting before, I was visiting interstate when the update occured and didn't spot it when I got home! Perhaps I'll work out the feature where you receive an e-mail when subscribed threads are replied to, in future... :-\ ))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roll to Cross Animals: DEAD
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2012, 08:04:08 pm »

I'm not the kind of guy that leaves his players hanging, so I'm just informing everyone here that I'm officially letting this one go. I guess I'll have to write up a quick retrospective on what I've learned - or not learned - from running it.

Roll to Cross Animals: A Retrospective.

I'm a funny kind of GM. Most GMs who start a game with nothing more than "you know what would be a great idea?" lose enthusiasm within the first few week. But that's actually how both my successful forum games started. I have a tendency to latch onto an idea - like the plot in Mushroom Kingdom Wars, Luigi Quest and this one - and not let it go for any reason whatsoever. The desire to tell a story overwhelms my procrastination. That's also what I did wrong with this game, and the reason I'm officially pronouncing it dead.

Plot? What plot?

Let's face it: this game, while it intended to be entertaining on its own for a while, was nothing more than a lighthearted tie-in to my other two main games. The plot's pretty simple, but I'm still not going to outright say it in full quite yet.

Some hint, then?

Yeah, I might as well wrap it up.

-This game takes place on a future version of Earth where people live with anthropomorphic animals. Part of the planet is inhospitable due to a nuclear war some time ago. Despite that, everything was going fine after the war, until...
-Several weeks before the game's events took place, the people in Mopeville discovered an untapped power source under their town in the form of three golden leaves floating side-by-side in a cave that hadn't been entered for a long time.
-Tom Nook was the first one to discover how to harness the leaves. He thought he had it made. Infinite electricity! He could do anything! But there was a flaw in his plan. Due to the constant use of the leaves, a sort of black hole - which Mopeville called the Spawn - opened up in the cave. It didn't pull anything in, per se, as much as completely obliterate anything it came in contact with. Not too long after, rips in space-time began opening up all around Earth, but noticeably in New York City, as it was housing three golden leaves itself.
-The rest of the story involving Nook, his two nieces and the horror of the Spawn will be detailed in a future flash animation/sequence, but not in this thread. I can't reveal anything else quite yet, except for a couple unrelated details:
--The creature Horatio encountered in his house is this. Yes, the current antagonist of Mushroom Kingdom Wars.
--The Spawn is essentially the Origin, but on Earth.

Why'd it die, then?

I didn't think it through. I pushed everyone up to the main plot too fast, and had no idea where to go from there. Beyond that, I just didn't have enough interest in running a game based on the Animal Crossing series. It didn't have a definitive end, and I'm not good at running games where the main goal is "muck around".

In closing...

I guess that's about it. I didn't learn a bunch of stuff from this like I did from my suggestion game, so there's not too much to say. I'm sincerely sorry to all who were enjoying it. Hope you can join me in my future endeavors, though!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 08:06:24 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]