Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damn elite bowmen  (Read 1723 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Damn elite bowmen
« on: December 04, 2010, 07:21:21 am »

My legendary fighter was finally put in the hospital by a goblin bowman. Seems a little rough. She had torn apart countless goblins and trolls without a scratch only to have an elite bowman show up during a siege. He got across the bridge in a group (I let them across a few at a time so it's easier to manage the battle) and as my fighter was approaching he started picking him off. 6 red wounds. I sent the other 3 squads forward quickly and they swarmed the bowman and took him down. Put 2 more people in the hospital though.

I did find out that if no beds are in the hospital they'll move the dwarf to a bed near the hospital and the doctor will go over and treat them there. My champion is currently resting in the archer's barracks. Luckily my second legendary fighter is still able to stand, with a red leg wound (upper), and is already back training the lessers.

Somehow in this siege though one of my bowman was slaughtered out near the edge of the map. This is strange because he had no business being out there. All labour is disabled and his squad was on training. He was miles from the fortress and the note said something about eating. Yet our kitchen is stocked with over 200 food and lots of drink.
It doesn't really make any sense to me what he was doing out there.

Luckily killing the elite goblin was enough to drive off the other 20-30 goblins. With my 2 champions in the hospital the other ones couldn't really fend them off.

While a legendary fighter, she had 10 in mace, but only 7 in armor use. I hope they'll do some armor training when she gets better. Maybe she's learned something.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Damn elite bowmen
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 03:07:24 pm »

Armor user is a pretty useless skill when it comes to making combat survivable; it reduces encumbrance penalties, so it might keep your dwarf from getting tired or slowing down, but when it comes to resisting damage, dodger/shield user is the way to go.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 04:05:28 pm »

About the hanging out bowdwarf, did you ever order them to move there? Squads seem to like hanging around their last move order even as inactive civilians. That's why I always order them to move in my barracks after doing something, so they won't go hang out around their last move order.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »

In adventure I sometimes block arrow hits with my shield, was your guy shield trained ?
Thank you based dwarf.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »

Not to hijack cause this is somewhat on the same line; have you noticed your dwarf in the hospitols taking YEARS to get better, IF they ever get better.

I have one who got injured and he went to sleep in the hospital and now he never wakes up.  the other dwarfs keep bringing him food and water so he won't die.

I think it's cause I don't have any good doctors, they are all just level 1.

Also, you have to be wearing armor BETTER than what there arrows are made out of for it to be any good.  Also dodging is the best skill ATM for fighting (well and fighter...)  Try it in the arena, guys who are amazing at fighting and dodging PAWN a dwarf who's great at his weapon skill and armor user.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »

The hanging out bowdwarf could have been a hunter too.  If off duty they will sometimes decide to do their civilian duties.  And as immigrant hunters more often than not have the stats and skills necessary to make an awesome bowdorf, it is not uncommon for a crossbowdworf to go out hunting on his off time unless the labor is specifically turned off.

Naturally that can cause them to be in an unfortunate strategic position when the greenskins show up.

I currently have 3 dracon in Smouldercrater that are suffering that never leaving the hospital thing.  From my experience it's due to nerve wounds preventing them from walking.   In order to walk again they are waiting for a crutch, and unfortunately, crutches are bugged in dwarf mode.  They never get up again unless some miracle heals their normally un-healable nerves.

And also in my experience bolts and arrows arent really stopped by much of anything.  Their penetration size is much too small punching through armor like it isn't even there because all the penetrating power from the velocity, weight, and cutting power is being applied to an incredibly small point.  Not even adamantine can stop that completely unless the arrow is made out of a particularly worthless materiel.   

If it helps to visualize it these bolts aren't the triangular shaped broadheads you often see in movies and prehistoric arrows.  These are far more like modern needlepoint arrows that could embed themselves a few inches into concrete or go through a car door.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:38:18 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

Before more debate is brought up, the [MAX_EDGE] of a material used in a bolt/arrow doesn't matter as much as weight due to it's contact area.
So silver>steel>(copper?bronze? iron?)>adamantite. When a bolt is fired, there is a lack of dwarf weight behind it, so it needs to rely on weight power (or momentum). So when making bolts, think like when you make blunt weapons instead.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:19:17 pm »

About the hanging out bowdwarf, did you ever order them to move there?
Nope. My squads had been training for years. I barely interacted with them other than to cursor over them to check their moods, and what they were learning.

In adventure I sometimes block arrow hits with my shield, was your guy shield trained ?
Yes. Everyone has a shield. But I don't have any legendary shield users yet.

Not to hijack cause this is somewhat on the same line; have you noticed your dwarf in the hospitols taking YEARS to get better, IF they ever get better.
My first dwarf ever that was hurt has been in the hospital 4 years. The guys who just got hurt though are almost all back on their feet. The one in the hospital has a foot injury though.
my doc was an embark2/2/2/2/2 doc.

The hanging out bowdwarf could have been a hunter too.  If off duty they will sometimes decide to do their civilian duties.  And as immigrant hunters more often than not have the stats and skills necessary to make an awesome bowdorf, it is not uncommon for a crossbowdworf to go out hunting on his off time unless the labor is specifically turned off.
All labour is disabled and his squad was on training.
He had no civilian duties.

I've got 200 dwarves, there is no reason for them to have any civilian labours enabled.

There was no reason for this guy to be anywhere near where he was. He was a very long way from the training room, we're talking like 3/4 of the way across the map. Some of the other fort members were near there cleaning up a wrecked caravan that the siege had smashed, but he wasn't involved in it. When I saw he was dead, I checked dwarf therapist as I'd loaded it just before the second siege showed up. He, like the other soldiers, have no labours.

I currently have 3 dracon in Smouldercrater that are suffering that never leaving the hospital thing.  From my experience it's due to nerve wounds preventing them from walking.   In order to walk again they are waiting for a crutch, and unfortunately, crutches are bugged in dwarf mode.  They never get up again unless some miracle heals their normally un-healable nerves.
My dwarf who has been there for 4 years has a foot injury. no nerves listed. Just tissue, muscle bone. it's been treated..it's yellow and that's it. They've been "resting" for 4 years.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:51:16 pm »

Did you order that one dwarf to execute a kill order? Kill orders mean dwarves sit around the location afterwards as it's really an "attack-move" order of sorts.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 07:54:53 pm »

*Ahem*
You can get someone out of the hospital if first you make sure all healable wounds get treated (torn, broken, etc.) Then take apart the bed under them. That should get them back to work.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 08:46:31 pm »

Did you order that one dwarf to execute a kill order? Kill orders mean dwarves sit around the location afterwards as it's really an "attack-move" order of sorts.

No. I've never ordered an individual military unit to do anything. I've only ordered them as squads and the other 2 squad members were properly training in the barracks/archery range where they should have been.

*Ahem*
You can get someone out of the hospital if first you make sure all healable wounds get treated (torn, broken, etc.) Then take apart the bed under them. That should get them back to work.
I did that a couple years ago, he just laid there until someone helped him to another bed.
and I did it again with no change.

Though it did get my second lay-about up and moving. He had a similar left foot yellow injury, but his had been sutured. The one who has been in bed for 4 years has only ever had the wound cleaned. But there is no treatment schedule. Is there a reliable way to cause a small injury to the dwarf to cause a new diagnosis? Especially one who can't move.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 08:54:50 pm by crossmr »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 09:46:57 pm »

I suggest retrying the bed thing, you might have pulled the bed out under him before he finished healing.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »

I suggest retrying the bed thing, you might have pulled the bed out under him before he finished healing.
I should have said "just now"

The other guy who got up and went back to training actually ended up back in the hospital. Apparently his injury wasn't fully healed. Last I saw him he was in the barracks training then next I checked he was in the hospital again, having been carried there.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 08:39:26 am »

I should have said "just now"

The other guy who got up and went back to training actually ended up back in the hospital. Apparently his injury wasn't fully healed. Last I saw him he was in the barracks training then next I checked he was in the hospital again, having been carried there.
Ah, my bad.