Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Scientology  (Read 4546 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Scientology
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 03:29:15 pm »

This is more than a problem of "corruption". The group advocates breaking off all contact with non-scientologist friends and family, giving scientology all of your money, and horrible things have happened because of Scientology. If I'm prejudiced for not accepting institutionalized abuse of innocent people, well...sorry, but I just can't do that. This has nothing to do with the actual belief system seeming ridiculous or not. This has to do with what Scientology has done to the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 03:55:58 pm »

It's nice that all you got out of that contribution was a perceived chance to prove me wrong about something slight, but Sweden and England aren't officially controlled by their particular demoninations either, so maybe you should try learning context, first. Indeed, out of the four examples given (not by me, incidentally, but by a guy with a Ph. D. I just type all the important bits ad verbatim), Italy is the second most prominent example of an Ecclesia.

Great that you're trying to think critically, though. That's the first step in analyzing things effectively. Now, what did you have to say about the topic at hand?

My comment isn't supposed to "prove you wrong about something slight" (far from my intention to burst your persecution complex//ego//USI, but I don't care about you that much, one way or the other.), but to point out that  the CC doesn't, as far as I know, and as far as I've checked, have any official character in Italy nowadays (Which is pretty much what I said in the last post, word by word).  There are no hidden meanings or cyphers in that statement.  So chill, k?
This is more than a problem of "corruption". The group advocates breaking off all contact with non-scientologist friends and family, giving scientology all of your money, and horrible things have happened because of Scientology. If I'm prejudiced for not accepting institutionalized abuse of innocent people, well...sorry, but I just can't do that. This has nothing to do with the actual belief system seeming ridiculous or not. This has to do with what Scientology has done to the world.
This. I don't personally care about the ridiculous beliefs of scientologists, but I do find the rumors of abuse worrying.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 04:58:27 pm »

I think most people would agree that the extreme ridiculousness of this particular religion is not the actual reason it should be destroyed (or criticized, or whatever). A lot of religions are ridiculous (I would say all of them, in various degrees). In fact, it would be hypocritical to think "well, nailing someone to a piece of wood to cleanse our sins makes sense, but sending our souls across space in Boeings-747 is JUST PLAIN NONSENSE!". The danger of religions is the effect they have in your life and everybody around you. ESPECIALLY the direct harmful effect on those who don't follow your religion (like, second-hand religion smoke cancer).

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 08:51:44 pm »

Sure, but show me an abuse the Church of Scientology has committed, and I will show you an equal one from a religion more accepted by our society. Singling out Scientology is scapegoating for corruption prevalent in all organized religions. By hating on the Scientologists themselves and saying their faith should be 'crushed' or 'destroyed', we are simply showing bias towards faiths such as Catholicism (child molestation), Islam (Women's Rights), Judaism (involuntary circumcision), etc., because they are more familiar to us. Scientology, in my view, is no better or worse than any of the other faiths, and declaring that they need to be wiped out is intolerance.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 08:55:00 pm »

Hey, Judaism's thing was totally great in WWI.  All that time spent in wet, dirty trenches with no showers, no cleaning, for weeks and weeks at a time?

You don't want to know what it did to the uncircumcized.  Don't imagine it.  Don't.  It wasn't pretty.  It was probably a perfectly valid health issue back in the day, one that was at least still valid in part of the 20th century.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 09:02:39 pm »

I never said anything about wiped out. Once you cross the line into abusing your religion's members, then legal action must be taken against the abuser. I would have the same done to any other religious institution. The Catholic Church must answer for child molestation just as much as Scientology must answer for abusing their members physically and financially. I never said I would give any of them leniency, nor would I have any of them wiped out for their offences. Scientology is what the thread is about, so that's what I commented on.

Hey, Judaism's thing was totally great in WWI.  All that time spent in wet, dirty trenches with no showers, no cleaning, for weeks and weeks at a time?

You don't want to know what it did to the uncircumcized.  Don't imagine it.  Don't.  It wasn't pretty.  It was probably a perfectly valid health issue back in the day, one that was at least still valid in part of the 20th century.
"Then" doesn't matter now. There is not a single reputable medical organization that can give any medical reason for circumcision these days. It's as worthlessly outdated as bloodletting. It's an unethical and unconsented cosmetic treatment that doctors have been known to pressure parents into doing. There is no way this should be allowed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 09:04:48 pm »

What, all the uncircumcised males got horrible genital infections during WWI? Where did you read this?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]