Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Game hangs when building constructions and workshops?  (Read 999 times)

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game hangs when building constructions and workshops?
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:46:32 pm »

Hey all was looking for abit of help or suggestions on how i could maybe fix this problem. As in the title above the game hangs for about 2-5 secs when ever i use the b - C (constructions) menu and also in b - w (workshops) menu. To clarify its when i actually select to build a wall or workshop that it hangs not the menu itself. This wouldn't usally be too much of a problem only this time im building quite alot of above ground structures so it just slows the whole process down.

The reason why i posted this in the modders forum is cause this is the first fort where im useing a custom workshop and a custom reaction in the smelter. Since its the first time ive had this problem i thought it must be because of the reactions.

Also selecting the custom workshop or the smelter hangs the game as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.. :D

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game hangs when building constructions and workshops?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:48:46 pm »

Have you ran the smelter reaction or something from the workshop before? What do they do?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 06:23:37 pm »

How many materials do you have?

If you're using a custom reaction to create a very, very large number of building materials, the game might be having trouble keeping track of all of them. Then, when you go to build a structure, it has to hunt down where each and every one of them is, and figure out the distance from the work site to each material. That normally isn't too difficult, since it happens when the game is paused, but if you've got 50,000 blocks or whatever that it needs to run through it might be having trouble, and so hanging. The custom reaction also could be having a similar issue; it needs to sort through thousands of valid items to find the closest suitable one.

I don't know any reason why a custom reaction would make the game hang, especially when you're not attempting to use it directly.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:08:12 pm »

Well the reactions work like normally nothing wrong with them as such...

Well now that you mention it i do have about 20,000 blocks and about 130,000 stone unearthed... SO it may be the fact its tracking down all those building materials and hanging the game in doing so?

EDIT: Also the reactions and custom workshop are there for the specfic reason of removing stone...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:10:12 pm by PLANKS »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:37:59 pm »

130,000 stone?! Yeah, that'll cause problems. You might be better off just dumping them under an atom smasher. Since you can't really use the stocks screen to designate them for dumping when you've got that many, you'll have to use the dumping designation mode, but it should be doable without losing too terribly much useful material.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:11:47 pm »

mmmm ok

what for example i turned em all into blocks would that speed it up any? or is that the same kind of problem?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:15:58 pm »

mmmm ok

what for example i turned em all into blocks would that speed it up any? or is that the same kind of problem?
You'd have 150,000 blocks then, and the problem is probably just the sheer number of valid items to track... It probably wouldn't hang on your reactions in that case, unless your custom reactions take blocks, but it'd probably still hang when you tried to build a building.

What reason do you have for having 130,000 stone free, anyway? It shouldn't cause as much lag if they're taken up in structures and such, since those are automatically invalid targets for use. You might also try forbidding most of your stones, say 100,000 or so, building whatever megaproject you're probably working on until you're almost out again, then unforbidding a bunch. At the least, that might save your computer from having to calculate distances, assuming that Toady took the time to make it check if a given item is usable and only check distance if it is.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »

Quote from: NecroRebel

What reason do you have for having 130,000 stone free, anyway?

:D :D thats just the entrance i havn't dug out my shinny open air dinning room yet

Quote from: NecroRebel
  It shouldn't cause as much lag if they're taken up in structures and such, since those are automatically invalid targets for use. You might also try forbidding most of your stones, say 100,000 or so, building whatever megaproject you're probably working on until you're almost out again, then unforbidding a bunch. At the least, that might save your computer from having to calculate distances, assuming that Toady took the time to make it check if a given item is usable and only check distance if it is.

k thanks ill give that a try

cheers for the help