Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different/strange fort designs you've tried.  (Read 581 times)

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
Different/strange fort designs you've tried.
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:51:20 pm »

Right now I'm building a fort made entirely of trenches, and I'm trying to stay away from using rock to build my fort, hopefully a mote will do instead of a wall. The only problem is getting a well, since I stupidly dug into the same layer as the nearby river.

What are some different/crazy/out-of-the-box designs that you've tried in the past? Sink or swim? Post the deets.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Different/strange fort designs you've tried.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:55:41 pm »

Well, I switched from a primarily-horizontal layout to primarily-vertical, with many stacked rooms, and never looked back.

Actually my Best Fort Ever had an underwater city. I had sculpted out a massive neighborhood with little houses and accidentally the aquifer. Fortunately there were already doors in most of the houses. I dug beneath and put in stairs.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:57:20 pm »

Well, I switched from a primarily-horizontal layout to primarily-vertical, with many stacked rooms, and never looked back.

Actually my Best Fort Ever had an underwater city. I had sculpted out a massive neighborhood with little houses and accidentally the aquifer. Fortunately there were already doors in most of the houses. I dug beneath and put in stairs.
That would actually be really really cool, kind of like BioShock, but instead of buildings surrounded by water it would be each room. I might have to try that next... I just need a LOT of sand for glass.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:20:07 pm »

That would actually be really really cool, kind of like BioShock, but instead of buildings surrounded by water it would be each room. I might have to try that next... I just need a LOT of sand for glass.

Gives me an awesome idea for a megaproject. I suppose the steps would be:
1a) produce the vast amount of glass blocks/windows needed (other materials would work, but glass has symbolic meaning here).
1b) dig out a large area beneath an aquifer layer, being prepared to piece the layer when the time comes but being careful not to do so beforehand.
2) construct. build houses, glass-tunnel pathways, etc. make sure to use glass for every spot where water will be held back, feel free to use other materials elsewhere.
3) pierce the aquifier, brace for FPS death, pray that you didn't miss any leaks.
Bonus) use magma from a volcano or pumped from the magma sea in place of water  :D
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."