Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mason To Eternity  (Read 1179 times)

TailorTF

• Bay Watcher
  • You know pots?Yeah,let's use pots now.Forever.
    • View Profile
Mason To Eternity
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:40:08 am »

I don't know if this should be here or in the Fortress mode board,but whatever...
So,I'm a bit new at Dwarf Fortress,so my fortresses usually end in "fun",but without the actual fun.So,just today I had a fortress that ran out of boose and it was winter so it was dying down.Through tantrum spirals,only a lone stoneworker was left.So what does he do?Tantrum?No,he goes straight back to work on creating stone blocks.Miasma from his fallen comrades spreads through the corridors,he's standing on a corpse and is about to die any minute,but he keeps doing his job.That is perseverance.
R.I.P. Erul Nanirnibash,Mason To Eternity.
Sorry if this was too cheesy,I was just trying to tell a story.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mason To Eternity
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 09:16:40 am »

A sad story of a dwarf that died to the incompetence of the overseer. Dwarves should NEVER EVER run out of booze.

But a touching story nonetheless. As you progress in DF, you will learn to tell far greater stories of heroism, magma, elves, magma and death. This is the way of the overseer.

Also, you could have posted it in the "What's going on in your fort" topic in the Fortress Mode board.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:52:56 pm »

I don't know if this should be here or in the Fortress mode board,but whatever...
So,I'm a bit new at Dwarf Fortress,so my fortresses usually end in "fun",but without the actual fun.So,just today I had a fortress that ran out of boose and it was winter so it was dying down.Through tantrum spirals,only a lone stoneworker was left.So what does he do?Tantrum?No,he goes straight back to work on creating stone blocks.Miasma from his fallen comrades spreads through the corridors,he's standing on a corpse and is about to die any minute,but he keeps doing his job.That is perseverance.
R.I.P. Erul Nanirnibash,Mason To Eternity.
Sorry if this was too cheesy,I was just trying to tell a story.

Touchy story, you could get water via well from cavern, i guess dwarves can be ok for a season of drinking water "i guess"

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:55:49 pm »

Did you abandon, or stick it out until he dies?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

TailorTF

• Bay Watcher
  • You know pots?Yeah,let's use pots now.Forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:57:28 pm »

I know of all my mistakes,and yes ,I waited until he died.As for the mispost,my bad.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:36:56 am »

Running out of booze, eh? That happens to me way too often.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 05:17:39 am »

Are we still talking about DF?
Thank you based dwarf.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »

Are we still talking about DF?

Sometimes I notice too late that I've run out of trees and put food in all my barrels and the water is frozen and all my dwarfs die of thirst.

Hasn't happened in a while, but occasionally one little detail slips by and kills everyone ;)

Usually though, the elves show up and I can steal all of their booze to tide me over.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:33:23 pm »

Huh.

Does that also happen to you ingame?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 05:43:09 am »

Running out of booze is the major cause for my fortresses failing. You see in the time it takes me to walk all the way to the closest pond and back again, something has usually gone wrong, like a goblin siege, and I wasn't there to lead my dwarfs.