Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spam from "webmaster@bay12forums.com"?  (Read 1329 times)

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
Spam from "webmaster@bay12forums.com"?
« on: December 03, 2010, 05:37:37 am »

I opened up my email, and found 3 junk emails from "webmaster@bay12forums.com".

They each have 4 links to websites with trash names (eg ubwskaoige.com)

Yahoo shows them as from: "trash@trash.com <webmaster@bay12forums.com>" ("trash" being whatever random string of letters you can imagine).

Has anyone seen something like this or know anything about it?
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Spam from "webmaster@bay12forums.com"?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:39:28 am »

I received two of these yesterday.

Spoiler: Email (click to show/hide)

Personally, I think hukeymodyrrm.com wouldn't be that bad of a name for a website.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:43:56 am »

I sense there will be blood in the future. Digital blood. All Toady needs is a two-threaded sword and it will happen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:28:39 pm »

Someone's using the forum email feature for spam.  If you send an email via that little email box, instead of showing their email address it sends them via webmaster@bay12forums.com

Turn off the receive email from forum users option.  It's not like anyone uses that feature anyway.
Shoes...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:32:58 pm »

I haven't gotten that myself, but its definetly something Toady needs to check out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 12:34:46 pm »

Just checked and saw that 3 of these have been marked as spam and blocked. hah

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 02:23:06 pm »

Janus and I have been trying to work on a fix for this.  SMF doesn't make it very easy, unfortunately.  Unchecking "Allow users to email me" in Account Settings should stop the problem.  One of you already had this box unchecked -- if that wasn't a result of Cthulhu's post or something that happened recently, please send me a PM, as that would mean the email didn't originate from the forum, which would be a different matter.

If one of you has a recent one (as in today), I should be able to check the log for it if you have the specific email that appears before "webmaster@bay12forums.com" (the random strings of letters).  The spammers are changing their emails, but the log should have the account id.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 02:34:05 pm »

Double post for emphasis:  Okay, if you get one of these now, it should give the forum user's displayed name in the email subject, like "From forum user <name> : <email subject>".  They can't change their displayed name, so if in fact these are coming from the forum, this should be a way to catch them.  We're still looking for a way to shut down this functionality altogether, since it seems so abusable.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 02:50:10 pm »

One of you already had this box unchecked -- if that wasn't a result of Cthulhu's post or something that happened recently, please send me a PM, as that would mean the email didn't originate from the forum, which would be a different matter.

Yeah, I unchecked that after reading Cthulhu's post. I'll try checking again it to see if I get another one of these.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 03:05:00 pm »

Ah, cool.  I was worried.  We've also patched up a problem where the warning it gives you about not being able to send two emails within 75 seconds of each other was actually given to the member *after* it sends the second email -- so a spammer could in fact send as many emails as they want.  It should be way easier to catch these guys now, and it should be clearer to people receiving these things what is going on now with the new subject line.