Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: P2P-like decentralized DNS system!  (Read 1343 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:30:51 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: P2P DNS!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:59:17 am »

sounds alot like old school usenet. i think their point of their new protocol would be allowing more servers to direct download requests to the correct seeder instead of relying on a central system. this reduces their overheads and  have us fly around in the internet confusing watchdogs. but the problem would be finding people with servers that can handle the bandwidth needs.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 01:05:55 am »

sounds alot like old school usenet. i think their point of their new protocol would be allowing more servers to direct download requests to the correct seeder instead of relying on a central system. this reduces their overheads and  have us fly around in the internet confusing watchdogs. but the problem would be finding people with servers that can handle the bandwidth needs.

...P2P DNS doesn't have anything to do with downloading and seeding things. It's about de-centralising name servers in response to governments or other third parties effectively being able to shut down traffic to a website because it's all administered and routed through a single organisation.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:08:29 am »

...P2P DNS doesn't have anything to do with downloading and seeding things. It's about de-centralising name servers in response to governments or other third parties effectively being able to shut down traffic to a website because it's all administered and routed through a single organisation.
yes as i was saying the servers will have you racing all over the internet.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:16:48 pm »

Isn't the DNS like the single most used service on the whole web? Making that P2P is going to hit the 'net like shoving a load of elephants down a children's water slide every frigging millisecond.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »

Isn't the DNS like the single most used service on the whole web? Making that P2P is going to hit the 'net like shoving a load of elephants down a children's water slide every frigging millisecond.
DNS is the thing the translates http://www.bay12games.com into the site's IP address, which is what the computer uses to find that website. If you use Command Prompt (or similar terminal program) and find the IP of a site yourself, you can just go straight there without needing to ask a DNS server where to go.

The DNS servers are under the control of ICANN i think, which the US government is being silly with and not relinquishing, or something. pretty sure its something related to that idiotic COICA bill.

Update: They has wiki now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: P2P-like decentralized DNS system!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »

As I said, everyone uses the DNS servers. If you first gotta route all over the web before you can get an IP that's going to add quite some overhead.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 03:16:40 pm »

Well, from what I've seen (and semi-understood) in the IRC, its going to be less like true P2P and more like how Diaspora* is set up, minus the entire social networking part.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:26:44 pm »

I find this hilarious.  Two current stories on Slashdot:  "China supposedly-accidentally hijacked a huge part of the internet's DNS service!  That's horrible!"  "We need to distribute all our DNS data in a way that ANYONE can hijack it!"
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!