Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Good Morning  (Read 2233 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 06:28:26 pm »

I COULD NEVER BE ANGRY WITH YOU!!!
*Hugs*

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 06:28:37 pm »

Treat pleasantries as an actual question or statement of fact and watch society crumble.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 06:38:28 pm »

I think we need a Realmfigher Hedonism Derail stamp or somthing.

Don't even bother.

You would wear in out within the week.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 08:42:15 pm »

Are his Good Mornings the start of a conversation, or a morning ritual? If you're already going to talk to them, then it's just an entry to the conversation, like when you and a friend pass a friend and slap them on the back of the head. It's a form of greeting that's immediately understood.

I see where Aqizzar is going with the How Are You. If you're starting up a conversation, and all you have to say are the beginning pleasantries, then you don't have a conversation at all, unless you can really think off the top of your head. People are either going to say 'Good', if they don't want to appear rude and don't have anything else to say, or their going to be overly reactionary and thus probably not someone you want to talk to.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 10:07:33 pm »

I'm sitting at my "half cube," staring at code and the guy walks by, stops... says "Good Morning" as he does to everyone in the office every day (frankly, I couldn't do it...)  But it makes me feel like I need to break concentration, say Good Morning, then go back to what I was doing.

The guy in my group will use it whenever I start a conversation... sometimes putting it in parenthesis in a reply IM...

Me: Do you have some course ready?
Him: (Good Morning)
Him: Sure, here it is... [file transfer]

Even he's not at his desk, when he comes back... the first thing he starts with is a greeting before answering the post.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 11:16:43 pm »

I've never really grasped the "How are you?" sort of greetings.  It's like, it begs a response, but you're really not supposed to respond with anything other than "Fine".  Saying anything other than "Fine" comes off as a desperate ploy to talk about yourself for a while.  And everybody reacts to the question and response differently.  I just don't even answer it, and start or respond with "Sup", which is basically the "How are you?" question shortened so much that it's not really a question anymore.

I've heard that in former Soviet-bloc countries, its considered rude to answer "How are you doing" with "Very well, thank you". Apparently everyone is so used to things sucking that the standard response is "Getting by", "Better than last week", or at best, "Meh."
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20:15 pm »

I guess when everyone lives in soul crushing cold, poverty, and squalor, saying you're doing fine would come off as either bragging or crazy.  Daily human tragedy is an artform in Russia.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2010, 04:22:27 am »

One of the "socially acceptable" answers to a "how are you?" here is "same old pains". Definitely one of my favourite expressions.
Love, scriver~

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2010, 04:25:43 am »

I tend to answer "how are you?" with "meh", a shrug of the shoulders, or if I'm lucky enough to think of one fast a smartass remark.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2010, 03:31:29 pm »

I started replying in the Estonian fashion of "I'm surviving" and found it surprised people to hear a deviation from "fine". Sometimes comically so.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

I've just started saying nice greetings to everyone, and replying to everyone, even strangers. It's a good feeling, if a bit awkward.
Pages: 1 2 [3]