Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Automatic job completion  (Read 1047 times)

AricW/anA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Automatic job completion
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:48 am »

I don't know how many times (many I'd think) this has been asked but how about, let's see if I can explain it, if a dwarf needs to make a pick and he has no coal, maybe allow an option to have "make x [whatever requisite item] from nearest source"

Different example: need to brew drink but out of barrels? Queue brewing and the barrels you need automatically begin construction when a carpendwarf becomes available.

Provided you have the materials of course. If something like this exists, pardon my ignorance and tell me how to do it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic job completion
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 10:18:52 am »

Wouldn't this make the game a bit... automated? like you only have to build workshops (or will they build them by themselves too?) and the dwarves will collect wood, make barrels, collect seeds, make farm plots, let the plants grow, harvest stuff, brew some of the food and cook the rest. Than they will engrave their walls if they are unhappy and train of the fortress wealth is getting high.

that's not a game anymore... and the game already gives an error announcement when someone can't complete workshops tasks

AricW/anA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:19:21 am »

I thought that's what the idea was, to create a self sustaining fort? The military is almost hands free once you figure it out (I've yet to do that heh) and I very much like the idea of freeing myself for future planning.

I'm talking an option for it, even through book keepers or quartermasters. Dumb it down if need be so it only works for certain things. Do you really NEED to task the wood furnace or should a furnace operator know/ be told through the quartermaster that fuel needs to be made?

The name of the game is micromanagement I know but, hey, just a suggestion. 

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:42 pm »

Actually the way of the game seems to be heading towards it where you are a single person. Since someday toady plans to fuse adventure mode with dwarf fortress mode.

Stratah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »

I don't know if making the thing automated would be a good idea.  Since it takes good part of the fun this kind of micromanagement gives you.

But, here's a thought: sometimes production gets lost in details when you set for complexer industries, and you find yourself without barrels and dying dwarves in about 3 years of digging without paying attention, for example. 

There is no mistake in adding advantages when the game is way more advanced than setting up brewing industry, so, my idea is that legendary craftsmen could place orders with the manager in order to produce goods.  Instead of cancelling the job, to get notified "Production halted until the manager solves" or something like that (and force you to pay attention to the whole process).