Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not the world gen's finest job  (Read 826 times)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not the world gen's finest job
« on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:06 am »

I found a decent looking spot in a world I'd previously forted on (perfect world maps, one cavern, otherwise roughly default), but it took quite a while for it to load once I'd embarked.  I thought the game had crashed but it got in.  I paused and immediately dwarf the rapist'd some skills, assigned some build jobs and unpaused... to about 2 fps. 

Clearly, something is wrong here.  I look around at the surface terrain... nothing out of the ordinary.  A snaky river, fairly flat terrain, nothing skyrocketing into the atmosphere or anything.  Suspecting something funky going on in the caverns, I loaded up dfreveal.exe.

My world gen flipped the caverns and the magma sea upside down.

Going down from the surface, we reach the top of the magma sea first:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Continuing down, the cavern makes its appearance... wait, what?

Going down a dozen or so Z's, more holes in the sea drain into the cavern... there's not much land and it's mostly on gradual slopes.  Eventually, we get to the bottom of the cavern, an underground river:

But it isn't just falling on the river.  It's IN the river.  THE MAGMA SEA PIERCES THE RIVER.

There's no way in hell I'm playing on this embark and I want to see what happens, so I'm unpausing with reveal still active to watch :3
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not the world gen's finest job
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:05:38 am »

You can't post something like that without sharing the world gen info/seed ;)

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 02:13:29 am »

Well, the magma formed an awesome looking wave that obsidian'd everything before it. 

The entire underground river, including both sources, is obsidian'd.  The cavern is now filling with magma, though the magma is now falling off the map at the river exits.  Curiously, a pocket of water covered with magma from above and beside... is absolutely fine.  Like some sort of elemental harmony.

While interesting, it's not really worth embarking on.  Essentially, it's just replacing most of the cavern with an expanded magma sea and 25 fps (down from 100).
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 02:23:24 am »

Hm, embarked somewhere else and it's similarly odd.  Not on the same scale, but the first cavern is vertically massive (starts 7 Z's down from the surface and isa bout 20 Z's deep, then another dozen or so Z's of stone before the magma sea.  There are wierd holes in the stone inside the magma sea that it's draining into, and if I keep going down, there's a 1-Z underground lake in the middle of some semi-molten rock.  Huge swaths of perfectly rectangular stone continue down past the magma sea and semi molten rock, straight into hell.  While other embarks had adamantine, this has none, despite its 4x4 embark size.

Gonna make a new world :P