Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Suggestions] Tier 2 Workshops: Masonry, Carpentry  (Read 672 times)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Suggestions] Tier 2 Workshops: Masonry, Carpentry
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:29:00 pm »

So, I've begun modding.

It started off as a workshop that allows me to convert a log into more wooden blocks, and convert stones into more stone blocks.  As the idea evolved, I decided to create "Tier 2" workshops--advanced workshops that require more special materials to make, but allows a few new options.

The first one I created was the sawmill.  It requires 4 logs/stones/whatever (might change it to require blocks instead of just raw materials), a mechanism, and a large, serrated disc.  With it, I can create 4 wooden blocks from 1 log; as well, I modded in a recycling program.  I pulled the same for the tier mason's workshop (which doesn't have a name yet)--it requires 4 logs/stones, a hammer, and a rope (no reason for the rope).

The goal of a tier 2 workshop is this:
1). Blocks. The current conversion rate is 1 raw material to 4 blocks. I didn't think this was cheating by that much; any more, and it would be.
2). Recycling.  You have the option of recycling existing furniture to go back to raw materials, but there's a percentage it works (right now, it's 50%. I might vary it depending on the item--sadly, I can't have this percentage be skill dependent).
3). Byproduct. Each process should create a byproduct, which adds another layer.  I've yet to mod this idea in.  The sawmill should produce sawdust; hopefully, sawdust can be burnt into ash, etc.  The masonry version (which is currently called a "quarry"--needs a totally better name) should create gravel. From that, maybe concrete and casting concrete furniture?  Either way, byproduct serves one purposes: Usage of second tier workshops creates clutter much faster than any other process, and serves as a cost for using them.

So, what I need to know is this:
* Is this a good idea pursuing?
* Should I continue on?
* Any ideas of what else to add into tier 2 workshops; should tier 2 workshops emulate the same functions as the tier 1 plus some? (i.e., in addition to modding in standard things, like bed making, should masonry tier 2 lets you make stone beds and barrels; sawmill lets you make wooden mechanisms, etc.--I'd need some pointers in this, as I have bloody no idea where to start).
* What can I do for Masonry tier 2 that makes it better--i.e., name and construction guidelines? If anyone's interested, I can provide the coding already used if they want to develop this on there.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestions] Tier 2 Workshops: Masonry, Carpentry
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:03:29 pm »

* Is this a good idea pursuing?

Yes. In fact, I'm working along vaguely similar routes for research in my own mod, not to mention stuff much more similar to this.

* Should I continue on?

Knock yourself out, and let's see what you've got to offer the playerbase. :)

* Any ideas of what else to add into tier 2 workshops; should tier 2 workshops emulate the same functions as the tier 1 plus some? (i.e., in addition to modding in standard things, like bed making, should masonry tier 2 lets you make stone beds and barrels; sawmill lets you make wooden mechanisms, etc.--I'd need some pointers in this, as I have bloody no idea where to start).

They should definitely have different functions, to function side-by-side otherwise you either get; abandonment of tier 1 workshops or the need for a research system, which is definitely no small challenge to do well.

* What can I do for Masonry tier 2 that makes it better--i.e., name and construction guidelines? If anyone's interested, I can provide the coding already used if they want to develop this on there.

Perhaps coding in some new, neat, rock-able items. What they are specifically, definitely up to you, I've got no ideas for what you'd want to do. Perhaps even give it a reaction that will make an item with a new, modded in material that can only be 'made' through THAT reaction, to make THAT item and, say, have that item have a very high value, for use with your nobles' demands or somesuch. There's a lot of possibilities here.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestions] Tier 2 Workshops: Masonry, Carpentry
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »

Doo EET!

If you need anything for glass-works you see if you can scavenge anything from my GlassForge mini-mod, it's not as detailed as what you go into but it works on the concept of making raw glass, then using differing units of raw glass into various items.  It also includes recycling at...i think 80% efficiency.