Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fun things to do with caged goblins?  (Read 10231 times)

Dharma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun things to do with caged goblins?
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2010, 02:28:17 pm »

make the pit a few z levels down and just put a retracting bridge as a vertical seal in it. 
1) either build cage or use an animal stockpile on tiles adjacent to pit
2) assign gobbo to pit
3) Pull lever linked to retracting bridge
4) pull lever again
5) repeat
6) ???
7) profit
Basically the same thing but with quantum stockpile:

Build a cage, place one tile animal stockpile right next to that cage. Designate garbage dump activity zone on top of stockpile. Designate cages with goblins for dumping (if you mass dump cages, goblins will be stripped of any weapons/armor first so i prefer to do it manually using k-menu) Wait till all cages dumped, than reclaim. Assign all goblins to cage you build at the first step. For the same reason as with pit they won’t run away.* Now you have all goblins in one cage - pit them if that cage adjacent to a pit or link it with lever to release all at once :)

If you want just to pit them it is probably possible seal pit with forbidden floor hatch (or else they throw cages into the pit instead of quantum stockpiling them). The same floor hatch prevents dwarfs from being scared by goblins down there.

*Goblin thieves always run away in my experience.

P.S. Sorry for crappy English.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2010, 04:15:47 pm »

edit: the best way to avoid dwarf being spooked is to make the pit entrance 1x1 and put a hatch over it. the dwarves can't see whats down there and don't really care. they just open the cage, open the hatch and fling the prisoner down before walking off to have a beer.

HATCHES WORK WITH PITS??????
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Grumbledook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »

Cages and what to do with captured goblins/cave beasts sorta perplexes me. If you try to move the cage - lets say you caught something in a cage trap - it escapes when the dwarf tries to move the cage to bring it to the arena...

So-how do you move hostile creatures that have been caught in a cage?

Edit:
Can you MOVE an occupied cage? I suppose if you can, then there's no real problem here - I'm still new. lol.

I'm pretty sure that if you build a cage (rather than hauling it, taking it to a pit or whatever) and specify the goblin cage as the cage you want to use, there is no chance of them escaping. So thats:
 'b'+'j' to build the cage, choose where you want it to go. When you get the list of cage types, press 'x' to open the list of all individual cages, then select the goblin one.

If you do it right, you should have a cage building rather than just a cage lying around.

Hope that helps - torturing goblins is the whole point, right?

Or is that just me...
Goblins make the best target practice.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2010, 05:15:03 pm »

edit: the best way to avoid dwarf being spooked is to make the pit entrance 1x1 and put a hatch over it. the dwarves can't see whats down there and don't really care. they just open the cage, open the hatch and fling the prisoner down before walking off to have a beer.

HATCHES WORK WITH PITS??????

Any confirmation? may need some !!Science!!.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."
Pages: 1 2 [3]