Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make working dwarves obey traffic designations  (Read 713 times)

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Make working dwarves obey traffic designations
« on: November 27, 2010, 07:10:55 pm »

This game would be improved several thousandfold if I could prevent dwarves from walling themselves on the wrong side of constructions, or causing a cave-in deconstructing a platform, or performing any of the hundred thousand other 'dwarf moves.' Losing is fun. Being completely powerless to prevent your dwarves from doing the dumbest crap possible is decidedly un-fun.
My suggestion is another traffic designation or perhaps even a zone category, 'forbidden.' The ability to designate a group of tiles as literally impassable to dwarves under any circumstances. Simple, easy to implement, HUGE play-ability returns.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
Re: Make working dwarves obey traffic designations
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:22:34 pm »

I wouldn't mind another designation, that is completely forbidden. It might even help fps. Oh, and i'm pretty sure dwarfs always build from the north, and then the west if possible. So with some clever thinking, you can usually prevent most if not all dwarf stupidity but planning carefully.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 12:00:18 am »

Also, they won't stand on a tile with a unbuilt wall on it; anywhere you don't want the dwarves to stand while building, build a wall there are you normally would and immediately suspend it via the [t] or [q] menu.

The forbidden designation thing would be nice, it's been brought up before though and would apparently be more time consuming to program effectively than you'd think.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:53:10 am »

The problem is that currently dwarfs and monster use the same pathing map. This means that if you were to forbid an area from your dwarfs then either the local monsters would become unable to visit it aswell or you would get a lot of job cancelation spam.
You could however use borrows. Maybe we could make a system were with 1 button press you could select the entire map and then with another remove parts again so that you create forbidden areas.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

jazztoken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:07:05 pm »

The problem is that currently dwarfs and monster use the same pathing map. This means that if you were to forbid an area from your dwarfs then either the local monsters would become unable to visit it aswell or you would get a lot of job cancelation spam.
You could however use borrows. Maybe we could make a system were with 1 button press you could select the entire map and then with another remove parts again so that you create forbidden areas.

Are you sure they use the same traffic designations? I experienced that merchants and raiders would try to cross through an extremely dangerous waterfall moat, often losing their stuff on the way. My dwarves would follow the traffic designations and path across the safe bridge.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:45 pm »

What happens is you have basically 3 pathing maps:
1 Acces map: This is the map that is used for determening what jobs can be taken and which can't. It's blocked by everything your dwarfs can't reach. It is also used for non-dwarven pathing.
2 Traffic map: Map used for pathing only used for dwarfs. Uses the traffic commands, Does not effect whatever dwarfs will take a certain job but only how they get to it.
3: Burrows another dwarven map: Well directly accesable in game so it should be clear.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.