Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: building too high  (Read 1588 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: building too high
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 04:21:33 pm »

Building high .. consequences?

Well it should attract attention of everything really. Not just aerial creatures, but other civilizations as well. A second civilization of goblins might say "those filthy dwarves! do they think they're special?" and make hostile contact .. while humans might say "oh that sure is one grand tower, we should pay tribute to these fine and noble dwarves!"

... other than that though. aerial diversity and treasures, huh? well .. if we got creatures livin' up there then they oughta have homes up there right? floatin' islands of incredibly valuable materials like. friggin anti-gravity rocks to build with how cool would that be? or *gasp* better yet: the secret of flight! give your dorfs WINGS

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:24:21 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 04:30:07 pm »

Building high .. consequences?

Well it should attract attention of everything really. Not just aerial creatures, but other civilizations as well. A second civilization of goblins might say "those filthy dwarves! do they think they're special?" and make hostile contact .. while humans might say "oh that sure is one grand tower, we should pay tribute to these fine and noble dwarves!"

... other than that though. aerial diversity and treasures, huh? well .. if we got creatures livin' up there then they oughta have homes up there right? floatin' islands of incredibly valuable materials like. friggin anti-gravity rocks to build with how cool would that be? or *gasp* better yet: the secret of flight! give your dorfs WINGS

How about clouds that dissipate under a weight too heavy? So Urist much sky runner could fight atop the clouds, but if he is in all steel the cloud will quickly collapse under his weight and he will plunge to earth. Anything that lives up there would already have [FLIER] so they are safe.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:35:00 pm »

What about finding all dead beings up there, and only being able to get there by forcing a demon to go all the way up? (Which would mean your tower would also span to the very depths of the world.

Said dead beings could then be 'retrieved' and live once more!

Get your filthy ass over here, Urist McLegendary, we need you!
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 06:39:27 pm »

All?
Wouldn't some of them get shot down to hell instead?

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 04:57:32 am »

I really like this idea! Walking amongst the clouds and seeing gods in the flesh.

This has reminded me of the
Spoiler: Metro 2033 spoiler! (click to show/hide)
Monsters being attracted to, and circling towers would be very cool. Eagles circling mountaintops would also be a nice sight.
Pages: 1 [2]