Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Taming Question  (Read 654 times)

silent_marauder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Taming Question
« on: November 28, 2010, 05:59:31 pm »

Okay, so i've tamed multiple elephants and now they sit in the animal stockpile. How can I turn them into war elephants? Can I assign them to my military dwarfs? Am I missing the mark completely? Any answers are welcome :D

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taming Question
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 06:00:38 pm »

I think if you train a war dog, it's not always a dog, it will train any available animal. Don't quote me on that though, I'm drunk.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

silent_marauder

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:07:35 pm »

I could quote you your drunken words cause they are right! Had to go through the 10 stray dogs first before he did the elephants.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 06:08:33 pm »

Step by step directions. Cause I like this stuff.  :)

First, you hit Q on your kennel, and if you have someone who can do animal training, you order them to 'Tame large animal', or 'm' for the command. It'll give a list of animals for them that need taming, and you hit enter on the one you want them to tame.

Then you build the cage somewhere, I do it right there in the kennel. B, then j for cage. Then hit X to get a longer list of individual cages. That way you build just the one you want. Once built, you can release the tamed elephant...make sure it's been tamed first! Once it's roaming around you can q on the kennel again and order the dwarf to train war dog. This will allow it to tame any beast capable of being made into a war animal.

Then you can q on the empty cage and x to send it back to the stockpile.

To assign it to your dwarf, you type v on the dwarf you want an animal assigned to. Then p, then I disremember what you type then. There's a bit where it says 'labor dog' or something of the kind, you want to get that, and it'll tell you how many war animals are available. Assign one to your soldier dwarfs and there you go!

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 06:17:47 pm »

I am happy that my one drunken sentance was better than that well laid out, planned, and informative step-by-step guide to training animals.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:25 am »

My war elephants seemed pretty lame when I had them.  I chained them at my entrance and they couldn't even 1v1 a goblin.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:44:15 am »

My war elephants seemed pretty lame when I had them.  I chained them at my entrance and they couldn't even 1v1 a goblin.
That's your problem right there.  Chain useless puppies at the entrance and assign a war elephant to each soldier as a graduation gift from the Danger Room Dwarven Academy. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 05:51:04 am »

I've moved on from elephonts... My dorfs use Black and grizzle bears now :D

See elves can be used for more than security testing.. They bring nice pets sometimes.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:05:13 am »

I've moved on from elephonts... My dorfs use Black and grizzle bears now :D

See elves can be used for more than security testing.. They bring nice pets sometimes.
The elephants I use are often not those piddly vanilla elephants (which are not too bad.)  My elephants are thousands of times larger and have many many more tusks.  Butchering one elephant calf will feed my fortress for a couple years.  Meaning, 1.2kish meat. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]