Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ornamental stone.  (Read 1334 times)

gildarumarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ornamental stone.
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:24 pm »

The suggestion is to have ornamental semi-precious gems like onyx, jasper, jade, lapis, chrysocolla etc. as a type of economic stone instead of gems. This way you can either use them as a gem, or as regular stone and make crafts and furniture out of them. This can also include stones like jet and petrified wood, which are used for jewelery IRL, but are not gems in DF, and economic stones like malachite and obsidian.
Sorry if it was already suggested before, I didn't find anything in the search.
Also, first post.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ornamental stone.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:17:13 am »

The next release is going to add cabochons, which is essentially what you are suggesting. (Well, not the using gems as normal stone part but the making decorative plain stone part)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:20:05 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:18:45 am »

Being able to make gems out of stone in general is not a bad idea. As another example, obsidian is useful as a gemstone, not just as rock. I think the distinction between the two is too strong currently, at least.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

gildarumarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:00:42 am »

The next release is going to add cabochons, which is essentially what you are suggesting.
I apologize for not making my post clear enough, but thats not what I suggested. The main idea was actually to be able to make items and furniture out of semi-precious stone. This adds more options for high-value furniture and reflects real life usage of those stones more properly.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:40:54 am »

Gonna have to disagree with usage of gem as furnishing-making. When was last time you saw a diamond big enough to sit in?  :D

Crafts, I believe is already done, though somewhat randomly. It would be good to have a dedicated task for that, though! And I do believe that using stone as a form of gem, or processing them into such, is already being worked on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:45:00 am »

Gonna have to disagree with usage of gem as furnishing-making. When was last time you saw a diamond big enough to sit in?  :D

The Core

If a Gemstone is big enough it can be done... it would probably decrease the gems value if it was that big... but it can be done.

I just hope in the future "Large" includes info on how large it is.

gildarumarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:58:44 am »

I'm not talking about precious and rare gems like diamonds, just some of low value semi-precious ones.
Although I had a possessed jeweler make faint yellow diamond coffin once.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:07:28 pm »

I'm not talking about precious and rare gems like diamonds, just some of low value semi-precious ones.
Although I had a possessed jeweler make faint yellow diamond coffin once.

Badass.