Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark: where the wagon parks  (Read 1321 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark: where the wagon parks
« on: November 27, 2010, 05:18:13 pm »

Is it random? Are there some criteria at play? It seems that if the terrain is relatively featureless, the wagon will park near the center. If there is a volcano, the wagon will park near it. Given flat areas and mountains, the wagon will tend to land near the mountains, and it may just be me, but the dwarfs seem to like to park near mineral deposits if there are some showing. What have you seen?

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
Re: Embark: where the wagon parks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 05:50:11 pm »

I think it's dwarfs just being assholes.

It solves everything, why they need to park in the middle of a lake, why they park on top of a a volcanic ridge, or a ditch.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

revier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 05:59:11 pm »

As far as I know, they park as close to the middle of the map as possible while staying within the biome you had highlighted with F1, F2, Fx when you hit e to embark.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 06:01:10 pm »

It's where ever they are when they think there running low on supplies, and they have just enough time to set up shelter before they get eaten by wolves.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:36 pm »

always at the center of the map
this would mean that you always try and get volcanoes near the center, and maps that are at least half mountain.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 06:09:58 pm »

Goblin Towers are also at the centers of maps. Do the math there.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »

It is emphatically not always near the center of the map. I posted this topic because I had just seen different. I believe 'closest to the center while in the first biome you had in your embark' might account for what I've seen, though.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 08:59:42 pm »

They prefer the center of the map so much that occasionally, you'll get them parking on a 1x1 hill that can't handle a wagon.  All of your items will be stacked on this 1x1 square with no wagon (sucks if you're relying on the wagon's wood).
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »

It's worth noting that if you have a square embark area, the exact center of your map is not a single tile but a square of 4 tiles, so it's impossible to park a wagon on it anyway.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 04:21:38 pm »

Wagons park in the biome you have selected (with the F# keys) on embark. I have found that to be a pretty useful piece of information. If you have an ocean selected on embark, the wagon is parked on the beach, right in the waves.

Featureless, one-biome embarks always begin with the wagon parked at the center of the map. I don't think volcanoes move the wagon at all: what you may be seeing is the result of centering a map on a volcano. In that case, they will usually park on the volcano rim because they can't park in the exact geographic center, and choose to park as close as possible to the center.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »

They prefer the center of the map so much that occasionally, you'll get them parking on a 1x1 hill that can't handle a wagon.  All of your items will be stacked on this 1x1 square with no wagon (sucks if you're relying on the wagon's wood).

I hate when this happens. All my DIY builds have one log in them as a result.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:27:16 pm »

As a side note, two wagons usually have one wagon with a corner in the center of the biome while the second wagon has it's center adjacent to the centerpoint and one side bordering the first wagon..

Like this:

Code: [Select]
www......
wwwwww
wwwwww
.......www

Each additional wagon follows that pattern. The third will be below the first and the fourth will be below the second. Well, unless there's a tree or some other obstacle involved. Then the wagons will either shift up one or down one. They usually remain in contact with each other though.