Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tired of waiting forever to play Fortress Mode? Read on!  (Read 2248 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tired of waiting forever to play Fortress Mode? Read on!
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:59:00 pm »

Hello, everyone. I am a newb. Both to the forums, and to the game itself. I have always found DF lacking, not for lack of features, mind you, but lack of one thing:

Speed.

There is no fast forward key, and those tedious tasks can sometimes take forever.

Well, if you are a newbie as well, then do I have something good for you!

Note however, that it requires editing the raws, so if that isn't your thing, or you don't know how, just hit "Back" now.

For the rest of you, follow these instructions:

1. Open the Dwarf Fortress install directory
2. Go into the "raws" folder
3. Enter the "objects" folder
4. Open the file named "creatures_standard" with Notepad or a similar program.
5. scroll down or use "find" to find the FIRST instance of  [SWIM_SPEED:2500]
6. Make a new line BEFORE this tag.
7. Add in the tag [SPEED:1]
8. Enjoy your sped up game!

Please note that there are the following bugs with this method of speeding up the game:

1. Dwarves perform most tasks, especially mining, extremely fast
2. Dwarf Therapist randomly selects dwarves to show instead of all of them
3. Dwarves are EXTREMELY hard to select normally, without pausing, and even with pausing it is difficult.

All newbies, enjoy; and those who knew this already, any tips and any idea of how to fix Dwarf Therapist.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tired of waiting forever to play Fortress Mode? Read on!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

I thought this has been pretty widespread knowledge for a while

Also [SPEED:0] is even faster.

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 04:02:42 pm »

you can actually add [SPEED:0] anywhere under dwarf, and 0 is faster. Although I think just about everyone knows about this, and doesn't this belong in modding? I may be wrong though.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 04:10:59 pm »

you can actually add [SPEED:0] anywhere under dwarf, and 0 is faster. Although I think just about everyone knows about this, and doesn't this belong in modding? I may be wrong though.

Actually, I don't think so. this is a little tip for newbies. =3

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »

Okay, sounds like this is a tip in the way that an infinite gold cheat is a tip.  I wouldn't suggest that any new person use an infinite gold cheat without telling them that it's a cheat.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 04:31:03 pm »

You know, even though i have a quad II phenom, i still downclock my dwarf fortress to 60 fps (easily plays 300 if i want it to) and then place my graphics fps to 60 also; that way i get a more fluid movement, no jumping around with anything yo actually see them moving 1 square at a time.

Also when you max out your dwarves and set there priority via dwarf therapist/ you can get anyting done really fast.  Make 1 super dwarf for each of the main skills (more for the common use one) then make the rest that come in just haulers/militia. 

Now that's a fuckin tip

Lolzwheejars

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_EXOTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:00:24 pm »

My dwarf therapist lacks dwarves sometimes and I haven't done nothing but fiddle around to make my tileset work, what gives? >.<

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »

Actually, I don't think so. this is a little tip for newbies. =3
Little tips for newbies typically involve the mechanics the game releases with. Little tips for newbies include figuring out the game on it's own terms. Outright cheating goes in a section charitibly called 'Modding'.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 06:11:35 pm »

that is not moding >:( it is just plan old hack.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »

My dwarf therapist lacks dwarves sometimes and I haven't done nothing but fiddle around to make my tileset work, what gives? >.<
This is known bug with Dwarf Therapist, and there is a solution in the bug report page if you visit their site. Basically it is sometimes seeing a dwarf as a ghost, and hence not showing them to you.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »

that is not moding >:( it is just plan old hack.

No, it isn't "moding". It is, however, modding. He opened the RAW's and edited his dwarf entry to alter the gameplay, but he did not use any sort of outside program (unless you want to count notepad). It's not a "plan old hack".

In other news, I thought this would be something about actually embarking; ie, finding the site and picking out the setup :c
I sort of like that part, but my short attention span makes me want to just get out into the world and play.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:49:22 pm by Vertigon »

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »

What we need is a feature where we can see the surface of the embark site in full scale prior to embark.

First page hijack cheating to feature request!
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:56:11 am »

What we need is a feature where we can see the surface of the embark site in full scale prior to embark.

First page hijack cheating to feature request!

You should try IsoWorld. It allows you to see the detailed maps exported from Legends mode.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:46:04 pm by Brandstone »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:48 pm »

Cheating? Hacks? This is Dwarf Fortress! Half the FUN is modding the raws and creating all kinds of new problems interesting situations for yourself and/or your dwarfs.

Also, as for speeding up your dwarfs, I've found it works out better to add in [SPEED:10]. Fast enough to get shit done but not outrun any projects.