Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: time for hard mode FUN!  (Read 1682 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
time for hard mode FUN!
« on: December 19, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »

I'm about to embark in a terrifying, scorching coniferous forest. It is my first evil aligned embark, and also my first scorching embark. What can I expect and what should I have to watch out for?

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: time for hard mode FUN!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 09:44:25 pm »

The two big things to watch for are the various monsters, possibly werewolves in this case, and the fact that your surface pools won't refill. You might get undead instead of monsters. They're not much more dangerous than normal versions, but they are far more aggressive.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:47:56 pm »

I also read once that the rain can get so hot that it starts cooking my dwarves. Does this still happen? Also, how would this affect sieges and traders?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »

I think that bug was fixed.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 09:53:11 pm »

Ok. Here I go. Ill post how things are going.

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 10:54:43 pm »

I've had acid rain happen in i think either .12 or .18, so be careful.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 11:27:08 pm »

As long as you didn't change the worldgen parameter file directly and made temperatures far, far hotter than any reasonable planet would want to have in order to make scorching regions easier to find, the only affect "scorching" should have on your map is the lack of surface pools. If you don't have a river, you'll be forced to use the caverns if you need water.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 07:54:37 am »

Back in 40d, I went into a strange mood and tried to tweak the worldgen to get an embark that was so hot my dwarves and pets would die of exposure outdoors after a while, but not instantly.

I gave up after spending several hours on it. It turns out it's very tricky to get an embark to be that hot without cooking off the booze as soon as you unpause.

The_Countess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 11:16:28 am »

Back in 40d, I went into a strange mood and tried to tweak the worldgen to get an embark that was so hot my dwarves and pets would die of exposure outdoors after a while, but not instantly.

I gave up after spending several hours on it. It turns out it's very tricky to get an embark to be that hot without cooking off the booze as soon as you unpause.

why didn't you not bring any booze?

no wait, scratch that, that's a stupid suggestion. no booze? what was i thinking!

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 11:27:06 am »

Tough embarks are the best. Just embarked on a terrifying glacier. No regrets--except that skeletal yeti are weaklings.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 03:08:20 pm »

Tough embarks are the best. Just embarked on a terrifying glacier. No regrets--except that skeletal yeti are weaklings.

I've noticed that the undead creatures have become pushovers, so now I search for good-aligned areas.  Unicorns are scary man.

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 05:23:46 pm »

I've noticed that the undead creatures have become pushovers, so now I search for good-aligned areas.  Unicorns are scary man.

I'm working on an embark right now that has zombie mountain goats in the north and unicorns in the south. At the moment, my fortress militia's life is more akin to a penal legion.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:13 pm »

Yea, when I embarked on a sinister glacier I just brought a dedicated hammerdwarf and a unit of silver nuggets for his hammer and everything went peachy.

Until I sent him to try his luck against an ambush of goblin axemen. That didn't go well.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »

IMO, "Hard Mode" has much more to do with self imposed restrictions than anything that any embark can throw at you.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »

Well.. I guess yes and no, but honestly these days what makes a hard embark has changed a lot from what it used to be, mostly cause of caverns.

But yea, ultimately embarks tend to just affect how hard it is to get started, but once you get a fort going it'll be as easy (or nearly so) as anywhere else unless you have your own restrictions.

-MB