Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building projects  (Read 1307 times)

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building projects
« on: November 26, 2010, 07:28:13 am »

Ok, here is example: i want to make 10 tiles tall 2x2 column, so, I should build stairs all the way up, and then build those walls? Thats annoying, i can designate only 1 stairs at once, as long as walls, no walking perimeter, no access to building materials. Or there is some workaround? Tell me your secretes of building large things!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building projects
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:18:01 am »

You will need some kind of scaffolding yes.

In your 2x2 example yer probably best running the stair up the outside and then stripping it back once its done.  Due to the slowness with which civilians remove constructions plus the fact that you'll have to dismantle the stair 1 level at a time.....yes its gonna take ages.

An example of how I build
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 10:32:21 am »

You will need some kind of scaffolding yes.

In your 2x2 example yer probably best running the stair up the outside and then stripping it back once its done.  Due to the slowness with which civilians remove constructions plus the fact that you'll have to dismantle the stair 1 level at a time.....yes its gonna take ages.

An example of how I build
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, deconstructing time is pretty much the only thing that screw everything up...and cave-ins caused by it.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »

A faster, but more risky work-around, would be to design the scaffolding with intentional cave-in in mind. If you have the right design, it would take less long to deconstruct a couple floor tiles/bridges/stairs, build one or two supports, link them to a lever and watch the beautiful mushroom'shaped cloud that ensues.
It requires a bit more planning, of course. Also, it is potentially impossible if the ground isn't properly reinforced; dig tunnels underneath it beforehand at your own risk. Lastly, it CAN be deadly if your dwarves behave like the brain-damaged alcoholics they are, and get too close (but inversely, if enemies are walking right under it... ooooh boy, that would be glorious). I don't have any specific schema, it should be rather easy for you to figure out in what order you should construct and deconstruct stuff depending of your project. Also, well, the bigger your project is, the more time you'll save by just destroying the stairs.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:13:08 pm »

z0: WW
     WWU

z1: FF
     FFX

Build upper left wall first, then upper right and bottom left, then lower right. Then move up to the next level

W: Wall
F: Floor
U: Upward staircase
X: Up/Down Staircase
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:27:45 am »

A faster, but more risky work-around, would be to design the scaffolding with intentional cave-in in mind. If you have the right design, it would take less long to deconstruct a couple floor tiles/bridges/stairs, build one or two supports, link them to a lever and watch the beautiful mushroom'shaped cloud that ensues.
It requires a bit more planning, of course. Also, it is potentially impossible if the ground isn't properly reinforced; dig tunnels underneath it beforehand at your own risk. Lastly, it CAN be deadly if your dwarves behave like the brain-damaged alcoholics they are, and get too close (but inversely, if enemies are walking right under it... ooooh boy, that would be glorious). I don't have any specific schema, it should be rather easy for you to figure out in what order you should construct and deconstruct stuff depending of your project. Also, well, the bigger your project is, the more time you'll save by just destroying the stairs.

Thar could be a problem, if you have centralized design of fortress - falling walls and floors will pierce the fort. Ok i don't think I have some other choise, ty.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 05:36:20 am »

If taking the scaffolding down is a big deal I instead make bridges for the perimeter. Gives your architect plenty of experience but you can take them down very quickly.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 05:39:47 am »

search for 'Tower' on the wiki, theres no 31.18 article but the 40/28 one isnt out of date so should have plenty of good hints too
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Afelia Fail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 02:05:02 pm »

If taking the scaffolding down is a big deal I instead make bridges for the perimeter. Gives your architect plenty of experience but you can take them down very quickly.
wow, awesome idea, I wouldn't get it at my own

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 06:34:12 pm »

Bridges are only good for (poly)rectangular wall constructions. Floors are dangerous, and diagonal walls require too many bridges.