Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: MAXAGE and LITTERSIZE question  (Read 964 times)

RaptorFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
MAXAGE and LITTERSIZE question
« on: November 26, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »

I was working on an intelligent race of short lived and fragile creatures, but they're spreading faster than humans.

My question is if a value of 0 works for MAXAGE and LITTERSIZE.  Is this possible: MAXAGE:0:22 LITTERSIZE:0:2?

I looked in legends, and most monarchs and heroes lived to be 5 but they're supposed to be kids until 9.

Why are they spreading so quickly?  I tried turning down the START_GROUP_NUMBER to around 5, and that sort of slowed them down.  So I'm guessing, the hamlets just randomly pop up by themselves and 5 people are created as adults to live in them.

The effect I was looking for was that most of them would die before they even matured and half their litters would be 0 as in miscarriages.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: MAXAGE and LITTERSIZE question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:12:08 pm »

Almost positive that 0 isn't a very stable value for those tokens for some reason. So that could be part of the issue. I'm having a similar issue, though I think that risking putting a civ cap on their entity files would do what you're looking for (MAX_POP_NUMBER) and keep it somewhere around 1000 or 5000? I'd have to tinker with the numbers, so I'd suggest doing that if you're adamant about low pop counts.

Also, using MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE instead of LITTERSIZE would seriously reduce the number of spreading creatures. Unless you actually want lots of births but little spread? In which case, ignore this paragraph. :P

EDIT: The problem with the monarchs: It's because they can die anywhere from age 0 to age 22 from old age, and the game won't stop a kid from being king with modded positions usually because there's not a token for age limitations and in a short-lived species, it's gonna have chances for that to happen quite often.

EDIT2: Rather, if there IS a token for age restrictions on positions, I wish I knew it off the top of my head. :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:19:26 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:04:36 pm »

Yeah, at the least allow them to live to one year old, I think that'll sort certain problems out.

Think about it like this, though.

You have a group of humans. They can generally have four seperate births before they die, so you can say that the population of the humans doubles every time they hit puberty (every 12 years, right?).

Compare with your guys, who have upto TWENTY-SEVEN per birth. It is at least as high as the human birth rate, if not massively higher. That happens every 9 years?

Work it out.

If you want them properly done, set them to a kobold-like entity. They'll breed like bastards, but they'll generally get slaughtered. It's also how I keep kobolds alive in my games.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

RaptorFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 02:07:04 am »

Where did you get 27 from?

If they live up to 22 (most don't) and don't mature until 9 then that's only a 13 year window to have kids.  The median age is 11, subtract the 9 years of childhood, that's only 2 years to have kids.  Now, if I can set the LITTERSIZE:0:2 that means 1/3 of the births would be miscarriages.  Since the MAXAGE:1:22, plenty of them die before they even mature.

If anything, I'd expect them to go extinct before 2 generations, not spread over the entire world like a carpet.  I was planning on adjusting the numbers to keep them from completely dying out after I figured out how to keep them from spreading so fast.

I lowered the numbers on their biome preferences in the entity raw and that seemed to slow them down.  Now some of their hamlets are actually dying off and humans move in.

Now, for a name...  I'm thinking of calling them the Ephemera, meaning "short lived things".