Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Space Staircase #555  (Read 1051 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space Staircase #555
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:54:07 pm »

So I genned a nice little pocket world. World Gen never went past year 30, but oh whatever: At least I get the full gamut of all five civilisations with no chance for any of them to go extinct. I have a neato terrifying desert, and terrifying mountains right next to it.

So sure enough, I go and make my plans on the drawing board. I'll be embarking where the desert reaches into the mountains, having the open wasteland to the west and the stony ranges to the east, then I'll proceed to build a fortress halfway into the mountainside, and halfways reaching out into the desert, with beautiful green glass windows and everything.

I make my embark preparations most carefully, picking a beautiful name, dwarves, animals, goods...and then I embark.

And WTF. First off, my pocket world is 500 MB in size. Then, everything lags. And then there's weird holes and deep channels in the ground. I look down...and the first cavern layer is open to the surface. Hooray! Says me, and frolics. This looks pretty awesome, I think, and already ideas of how to utilise this phenomenon come to mind. But then I look upwards, and I am disappointed massively.

1. There are no fucking mountains. There's a gentle incline to the east, and it's rocky, too, but mountains? No way.

2. THE FUCKING CAVERNS ARE FLYING OH SHIT WAT IS THIS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yeah, apparently instead of mountains I get flying caverns in a height of 555.

I'm unpausing this now, waiting for the inevitable collapse...

...nothing happens, but the game's frozen...

...aaaaand - nothing yet. This is taking a while...

...alright, I'm off to make a cup of tea. You people tell me what the fuck happened to my mountains, and I'll post again once the game decides to let the whole shebang come down.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Staircase #555
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »

... Wait what? This is crazier than the exposed circus, but not as crazy as the mountains of magma.

I vote you turn the exposed caverns into an above-ground maze with weapon traps that knock gobbos off 555 Z-levels

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:04:12 pm »

Fifteen minutes since I unpaused, and still no movement. I'm out of tea and tired, so any Idea whether I can just put the machine on standby and let it continue tomorrow?

Ah, I'll just try. If it fails, I'll re-load the embark autosave and try again.

On the upside, the BGM *is* running, so it's no total freeze.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:12:22 pm »

I've seen the exposed caverns on this one pathological world I genned. When I tried to move the cursor off the starting square, the game crashed. Embarking on that square, I saw this Escheresque mishmash of caverns, magma, adamantine, trees, just everything jumbled together. I don't think your game is going to unfreeze.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:15:45 pm »

Mine's more Kafka than Escher - monolithic, useless, makes no sense, and is no fun. But I'm sure it's metaphorical for something..."DON'T EMBARK WITH 5 OUT OF 9 TILES AS MOUNTAINS WHEN THE CENTRAL ONE IS A FLAT DESERT", maybe.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:21:48 pm »

I would recommend adding the initial save to the DFFD.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:24:46 pm »

Too big. It's almost 400 MB over the 100 MB cap for file uploads.

But if anybody cares enough, I'll post the world_gen and how to find the spot.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 11:46:48 pm »

Too big. It's almost 400 MB over the 100 MB cap for file uploads.

But if anybody cares enough, I'll post the world_gen and how to find the spot.

These kinds of bugs (adamantine spires, etc.) are usually not reproducible, for whatever reason.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 12:55:44 am »

They likely aren't reproducible because the error occurs either during worldgen separate from what is defined by the gen parameters or upon embarking, maybe memory overflow from some other program running at the time confusing it and screwing everything up. If you load the embark autosave load it with cave-ins turned off and it shouldn't murder you pc quite as bad. And all that wonderful geometry will remain stationary.

I would like to add to the list of strange occurences that someone in adventure mode experienced a massive explosion of steam and magma mist from under a glacier, killing all of his companions except one who was horribly injured, and leaving a massive hole in the ground apparently leading nowhere.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:30:55 am »

Ah, the landmine!

Well, I'll keep the embark save around in case someone in the far future wants it. Nothing's happening, unfortunately- the game's still stuck.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:49 am »

, and leaving a massive hole in the ground apparently leading nowhere.

... OR SO THEY THOUGHT.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:00:30 am »

I would like to add to the list of strange occurences that someone in adventure mode experienced a massive explosion of steam and magma mist from under a glacier, killing all of his companions except one who was horribly injured, and leaving a massive hole in the ground apparently leading nowhere.

Geet off mah' lawn ye damn kids!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:01:05 am »

*Applause*
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.