Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelter broken! Please help.  (Read 517 times)

James

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Smelter broken! Please help.
« on: May 23, 2011, 07:48:08 pm »

Hi guys- despite having tons and tons of charcoal nearby and not-forbidden, every single task in my smelters are listed in red and non-selectable. I have tried deconstructing and reconstructing the smelters.

Is this simply a bug, or is there something I am missing? I have many gold and platinum nuggets nearby in a stockpile as well, in case that is relevant.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
Re: Smelter broken! Please help.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »

Try giving a red task, it should tell you what's missing...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:14 pm »

Try ordering it through the manager instead of the workshop.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:54:40 pm »

You shure you've built a smelter and not a magma smelter?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 08:12:07 pm »

Sometimes smelters fail to recognize items in stockpiles. Other times they fail to recognize items not in stockpiles. Sometimes they fail to recognize items altogether. These things are, obviously, bugs, but aside from changing the in stockpile/not in stockpile status of various items and hoping it works, the only workaround is to use the job manager, which assigns jobs regardless of available materials and thus bypasses the relevant bug.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

James

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

I deleted my fuel stockpile, and immediately the options for gold and platinum became available. Seems like that was the issue. I will likely use the manager workaround later but I don't even have a manager yet, so for now I will just delete a fuel stockpile whenever I need to assign some smelting.

Thanks for your help everybody!

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:19:13 am »

You can assign any dwarf to be the manager, at any time.  If you have fewer than 20 dwarves the jobs are automatically approved.  Your manager will need an office, even though he will never spend any time there.  If you have 20 or more dwarves, the manager will have to spend time sitting in his office with the task "manage work orders" before the jobs will be approved.  Dwarves who "like new ideas" make good managers, dwarves who "hate intellectual discussions" make very poor managers.  The organizer skill affects how fast jobs get approved once the manager starts managing.

For an early fort, just make a chair in your dining room into a 1x1 office, assign any dwarf who is at least neutral on intellectual issues, and start issuing jobs.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.