Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which font options do I have?  (Read 752 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which font options do I have?
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:00:40 am »

I am looking for a good truetype font to use, but are there are special needs? Like some fonts do not have the special characters?

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which font options do I have?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:14 am »

Any ideas anyone? I am looking for a font and need to know what the requirements are.  ;D

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 07:20:14 am »

I, too, would like to know this.  It's annoying not being able to distinguish genders, masterwork items, etc.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:18:38 pm »

Bump. - I would also very much like to know if anyone have found a perfect truetype font.
I.e. one that contains all needed characters for DF.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:49:25 pm »

Pretty much all default Windows TrueType fonts are supposed to have the full set (key term "supposed to").  Arial Narrow does according to Character Map, but I can't figure out how to get DF to use that instead of whatever TrueType font it is using.
Sanity is for the weak.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:21:57 pm »

To change what font DF uses for TrueType, copy the font file into the 'art' folder in DF, then delete the "font" TrueType file, and rename the font you want to use instead as "font".
Make sure you do have TrueType turned on in the init file.
Worked for me :)

EDIT: As far as I know though, none of the standard TrueType fonts (at least not the ones on Windows XP) are fully charactered for use in DF though. Bummer.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 04:38:40 pm by doctorspoof »
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »

EDIT: As far as I know though, none of the standard TrueType fonts (at least not the ones on Windows XP) are fully charactered for use in DF though. Bummer.

Since all (not talking wingdings here) truetype fonts are supposed to share the same character map, its a matter of coding DF expect that map. A simple character code translation function should be run for all true type related printing. The good news is that braughn (sp?) could theoretically do this, or ideally add a mapping file we all could edit.

I forget if standard windows fonts are ISO Latin-1 encoded or Unicode. I would imagine the latter.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 10:40:20 pm »

What's this business about a map? Is it some additional file?