Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the best defence  (Read 865 times)

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
the best defence
« on: November 23, 2010, 01:58:56 am »

ok so i was thinking " i hate all of the scary things that keep getting near my dworfs and i also hate how the dirty goblins keep escaping from the iron grasp of my military might" so i built the super box all the way around my map but with one Lord of the ring style black death gate lined with marksmen it seems to work out well but any other cooler ways to protect my dworfs and kill my foes would be neat
Slaying elves since the dawn of time

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: the best defence
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:29:57 am »

That. But with magma.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:50:08 am »

dig a six tile wide trench seven Z-levels deep around the entrance, then build a retractable bridge crossing the gap. connect the bridge to a lever inside a locked room, keep a dwarf in the room at all times just to pull the lever quickly (have shaft for food and booze) when the Gobs come knocking pull the lever and watch them fall into the pit o' despair.
(results work best when Goblins/Elves/Humans...etc. are on the bridge when it retracts)

Happy dropping  ;D
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

joeybowling

• Bay Watcher
  • KoboldKing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 11:05:39 am »

ok ok so WITH my wall of doom i will dig a pit of doom that leads to the magma sea of doom.... PERFECT
Slaying elves since the dawn of time

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:16:07 pm »

You could double up on your approach.

Have an approach that is channelled so it only has a 1 tile wide approach. Put easy to dodge weapon traps (ie, weapon traps loaded with only 1 training weapon) on the approach. Channel out your deep trenches on the sides. Non-trap avoid attackers will dodge the traps and fall down into whatever you want them falling into. Magma, spiked flooring, real traps, whatever. Now you only need your lever puller for trap avoid attackers and flyers (presuming your bridge is a drawbridge that blocks the only way in).
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:23:28 pm »

Build a giant platform several z levels above ground, then make it have a giant reservoir of magma and floodgates/floor hatches connected to levers with channels of magma going to them. Set these up so that when levers are pulled, a certain floodgate opens up and drops magma onto the enemies.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?