Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Consistent FPS drop  (Read 770 times)

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
Consistent FPS drop
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »

In my current fort of about 38 dorfs there are times when the FPS drops drastically (~10 or less) for periods of time and then returns to where it was before (between 50 and 70). I have not breached any of the caverns and there is no Upright Candy Cane on the building screen. Is there something big going on in the caverns below that I don't know about? Or does this happen after a given amount of time? Anyone else have this?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Consistent FPS drop
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 09:22:12 pm »

Do you have any repeaters set up?
Also, just a hunch, what biome are you in?

and also note any background programs that may be running, but you probably already checked that.

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:24:31 pm »

Do you have any repeaters set up?
Also, just a hunch, what biome are you in?

and also note any background programs that may be running, but you probably already checked that.
What's a repeater? As in, repeating trap? I have weapon traps that never get used, ever.

Also, I'm in a warm biome, so it's not the changing of the seasons turning water on the map into ice/thawing it.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:29:20 pm »

A repeater is a player built system that toggles mechanisms on/off endlessly, useful for danger rooms and etc.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Repeater
Will be useful sooner or later to any DF player.

I was wondering what biome because it might be wild animals wandering into/out of your embark zone, but I doubt they could cause any noticeable fps drop if your average is 50~70.

Do you have a volcano in your site? If something falls in it will reveal parts of caverns near the volcano shaft.
Also could it be the weather?

Dr_Pylons

• Bay Watcher
  • [GREEDY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 09:35:36 pm »

I do have a volcano, but I just remembered that there might be an underground tunnel below my fort, and gobs or elves might be using it as a method of transport. But, I haven't seen anything on the unit screen out of the ordinary, so.... Dunno.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 10:29:23 pm »

Unit screen should only show units that are in explored territory.

How often are the drops? Once per season, or more often?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:47:30 pm »

As previously asked, what proccesses are hogging up your CPU during these low FPS times? Could be svchost being nasty.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos