Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bookcrafting, the art of word-tinkery  (Read 1592 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Bookcrafting, the art of word-tinkery
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 01:14:40 am »

only instead of a paradise on the other side of the desert there was only Judgment.

Paradise?
It's a city of neon lights, prostitution, and gambling.
The closest thing to paradise is Abrahamic God's little garden.
But he's a xenophobic crotchety old man who feels like nobody understands him.
Friend of mine does say my stuff is something like Pratchett.
Funny part is: I've not read any of his stuff yet.

Revised 1: Slice of Life in a Science Fiction setting with Magic.
No answer to the new 4.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

1. Sci-fantasy. I do a little hard scifi, a little bit traditional fantasy, but generally elements of both tend to creep in.
2. By making it clear they're angry, or frightened, or in general need to be loud with surrounding clues. I don't think I've ever actually directly said they were yelling.
3. I have to watch myself with some words that I like, hehe. If I think it might be a problem, I do a search through the whole document for it and figure out if I'm imagining things.
4. Nothing would make sense out of context, and I don't think I could pick one.
5. A world in which AI surveilance and sabotage programs motivated by fear have subverted and completely destroyed the usefulness of the internet, but haven't otherwise harmed human society. Research into AI is banned, but still continues because of its usefulness in testing the prosthetic enhancements that everyone uses.
6. Coming of age. Cliche, but it's easy to structure conflict around. The framing story is sort of a romantic political thriller, as awful as I think that makes it sound.
7. Through 6's story, the protagonist gains and loses several powers that are alien to him, emphasizing the role of freedom in his happiness. He finally loses everything, and has to gain personal power to survive. It's not as obvious as this, of course, but it's there if you look.
8. Endings. Endings are always difficult for me, if I feel the story isn't going well in some way. I have the need to tie everything up neatly, where in reality some things can be left to the reader.

(sorry for the slight necro btw :P Looked interesting and I forgot it wasn't on the first page)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:26:18 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 04:00:46 pm »

1. What Genre do you like to write about? Fantasy, mainly.
2. How do you express your characters when they're yelling? Something along the lines of, "he yelled" works for me. :p
3. Do you keep having ONE WORD that keeps coming up when you write? If so, what is that word and why? Not really. Maybe "THIS IS BAD ARSE" but that's more a phrase than a word. :p
4. What is the best quote you've written so far? "Time was shattered, and time was made." Or something along those lines. 5. What's your favorite concept of an area/character/whathaveyou you've devised so far in your stories/story? The Desert Democracies. It's basically the "black man culture" of my setting that is completely different to everything I've ever seen black people be in stories. I specifically avoided the "tribal" culture that I've seen far too much of. :| God, I hate that so much.
6. What's the theme for the most recent story you're writing? Brother vs Brother, essentially. Or how two brothers can change completely over a few decades apart. Got the idea after watching Slumdog Millionaire.
7. What's the coolest use of symbolism you've used in your writings? The brother vs brother thing is part of the concept of conflicting ideologies. Every conflict is based off conflicting ideologies. There's no outspoken "THIS IS GOOD, THIS IS EVIL", everything needs shades of gray.
8. In what parts of your stories does writing get difficult for you? The filler. I always have trouble with filler.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 06:05:06 pm »

I have thought about writing but never actually done anything, except a short story I wrote several years ago about a guy being stalked by a mugger (in a seemingly Victorian city) who was also being followed. He ended up stabbing both the guys following him and went home to his wife, who the story states never learned anything about this.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 06:30:19 pm »

1.What Genre do you like to write about?
2. How do you express your characters when they're yelling?
3. Do you keep having ONE WORD that keeps coming up when you write? If so, what is that word and why?
4.What is the best quote you've written so far?
5. What's your favorite concept of an area/character/whathaveyou you've devised so far in your stories/story?
6. What's the theme for the most recent story you're writing?
7. What's the coolest use of symbolism you've used in your writings?
8.In what parts of your stories does writing get difficult for you?

1. I usually do fable/fairy tale stuff.  I like the "going off and having an adventure in an interesting land" tropes.
2. Usually by saying "Blah blah blah," he shouted.  Or perhaps something similar.
3. Mechanically, rim, bone, cracked.  I don't know why.  I'm also very fond of the phrase "mathematical waltz," which I'm always dying to insert somewhere but never know quite where to put--I came up with it when I was 14, back when I was not exactly fond of math, and have grown to like it even more since then.
4. Don't have one.  I wrote a short story recently that was full of quotes I liked, though.  Some snappy dialogue and nicely turned descriptions in there.
5. I don't generally have a favorite.  I don't write things that don't interest me, and if the idea is boring I wait until I can find something I like just as well as the rest of the other ideas.
6. I usually write about loneliness and personal barriers.  Madness tends to show up a lot, as does systemic societal exclusion.
7. Don't have one of these, either... I like symbolism, but my stories are usually heavily symbolic.  Any description I use always means something.  The scenery is a character.

Well, okay, I do have one.  I once wrote a character who was walking around with only one boot on.  At first I just meant it to display his unkempt appearance, but pretty soon I realized that he'd literally appear "unbalanced."  That was a nice aha moment.
8. The hardest part for me is probably plotting.  I tend to fall in love with the sound of words and their imagery, rather than always knowing when to move the story along.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 06:57:41 pm »

1. What Genre do you like to write about?
   Fantasy without magical D&D hero nonsense.
2. How do you express your characters when they're yelling?
   "Get down!" the sergeant yelled.
3. Do you keep having ONE WORD that keeps coming up when you write? If so, what is that word and why?
   The. I try to avoid the word as often as possible.
4. What is the best quote you've written so far?
   Decline to answer.
5. What's your favorite concept of an area/character/whathaveyou you've devised so far in your stories/story?
   A civilization of immortal elves and how their immortality changes their civilization.
6. What's the theme for the most recent story you're writing?
   Love can be a weapon of war.
7. What's the coolest use of symbolism you've used in your writings?
   Made readers very confused if it was a politely written sex scene or a murder.
8. In what parts of your stories does writing get difficult for you?
   First paragraph, then shifting from the introduction to the plot.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2]