Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Writing an essay about culture  (Read 1566 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Writing an essay about culture
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:08:43 pm »

Well the last one of these I did got a D. And the professor said that I didn't answer the questions correctly. I'm not really sure what I did wrong.

I have another one of these and it asks to write about how radio, television, and movies changed the mass culture of Americans and another question on how.....Well I'll just post the questions to give you a better idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.   Discuss fully how the movies, radio, and television created, developed, and    dominated American mass culture.  Use examples from the movies, Cross and    Szostak, and Mahler to illustrate your discussion. (3 pages)

2.   Jonathan Mahler book of New York City, Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is    Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of the City,    discusses the cultural changes that resulted in near bankruptcy, increasing class    and race tensions, the rejection of the urban progressive agenda, and how    Yankee baseball mirrored all of these tensions.

How does Mahler use the game of baseball, (owners, managers, players, teams,    and commentators), to illustrate the cultural changes occurring in New York City    during this time period.  (2 pages)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read the books but don't know how to describe the culture changes (at least that is what I think the problem is)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Writing an essay about culture
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 11:37:28 pm »

Sorta desperate for this information. How do you write how something dominated culture? Are there different definitions to culture?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:11 pm »

And the professor said that I didn't answer the questions correctly. I'm not really sure what I did wrong.

This would be an instance where you ask the professor, not us.  Office hours exist for a reason, you know.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 11:50:58 pm »

Tell your professor culture is like the ocean and people are the salt.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:05:02 am »

You'd also better cite in a bibliography.  If you don't know what cultural change is, then you need to explain where you found out from (and don't cite Wikipedia, either--cite Wikipedia's sources).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

And the professor said that I didn't answer the questions correctly. I'm not really sure what I did wrong.

This would be an instance where you ask the professor, not us.  Office hours exist for a reason, you know.
And this would be the instance I tell you she is turning senial and enjoys talking about her showdogs for large amounts of times. *shivers*

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:32:56 am »

Sounds like a structural objectivist. :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 12:55:02 am »

And this would be the instance I tell you she is turning senial and enjoys talking about her showdogs for large amounts of times. *shivers*

... So what you're basically telling us is that you don't feel like wasting your time listening to your professor talk about her showdogs, so you want to waste our time explaining how to do your homework?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 01:17:23 am »

Hmmm? I'm sure someone here can give me as good an explanation as my professor. And you don't have to answer. So how about you stop wasting your own time by trying to bash me?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 01:27:34 am »

The definition of culture is like the definition of art, albeit not quite to that extreme. That is to say, it varies based on who you ask. Even good advice about it would more likely than not result in a C or D due to not being what your professor meant. If you want to know what to write about, ask your professor. Assuming this is a college class you are talking about, you may even have a TA you can talk to.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 03:00:19 pm »

Are you serious?  I always liked those professors.  Nobody ELSE goes to office hours.  If you go in and actually hold a conversation, your prof will lavish so much attention on you it'll be crazy.  If you're failing at researching culture, try researching showdogs and see if that gets you anywhere.

(Seriously though, ask her "What kind of source would you like to see me use?" and go from there, it'll tell you a lot about what she's looking for)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!