Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf in Stasis  (Read 910 times)

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf in Stasis
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:22:11 pm »

I've currently got a dwarf that's been strangled for a few months now, and I'm getting worried.
I'm new to this, so If anyone could explain how to upload screenshots, I'd be appreciative.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:25:47 pm by GrueSlayer »

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf in Stasis
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 06:08:19 pm »

I've currently got a dwarf that's been strangled for a few months now, and I'm getting worried.
What do you mean by "strangled" and "in Stasis"? Is this dwarf critically wounded? Is it frozen in time or otherwise unable to move? Have you built some kind of freezing chamber, and you're not sure how to break Han out of the carbonite? Is said dwarf in a death match with a goblin who is trying to strangle the life out of it, but it somehow can't? :o

I'm new to this, so If anyone could explain how to upload screenshots, I'd be appreciative.

Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard ("Prt Scrn" on mine), open a simple image editing program like MSPaint (just called "Paint" in Windows XP, start menu --> Accessories), then hit control-V to paste the screenshot into the program and save the image. Then go to an image-hosting web site (like this one) and upload the image. Copy the URL of the uploaded image and paste it in your post. If you're feeling fancy, you can use the img tags on the URL for the image itself, like I did here for my iron earring:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 08:55:07 pm »

What do you mean by "strangled" and "in Stasis"? Is this dwarf critically wounded? Is it frozen in time or otherwise unable to move? Have you built some kind of freezing chamber, and you're not sure how to break Han out of the carbonite? Is said dwarf in a death match with a goblin who is trying to strangle the life out of it, but it somehow can't? :o

Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard ("Prt Scrn" on mine), open a simple image editing program like MSPaint (just called "Paint" in Windows XP, start menu --> Accessories), then hit control-V to paste the screenshot into the program and save the image. Then go to an image-hosting web site (like this one) and upload the image. Copy the URL of the uploaded image and paste it in your post. If you're feeling fancy, you can use the img tags on the URL for the image itself, like I did here for my iron earring:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or, if you're on a Mac, you use command-shift-3 and your picture will show up on the desktop. If you want to crop it, just drag a box around the area you want in Preview and press Command-K.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 05:27:08 pm »

Started on the fifteenth of slate, still in progress on the 24th of Galena. Therefore, logically, The dwarf was put into stasis, as nobody has come to help him, and he hasn't starved, nor gotten the slightest bit thirsty during the strangling.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 05:38:16 pm »

Do you have people set to recover the wounded?

Are they allowed to go outside to look for people?

Someone definitely should have carried that dwarf to an available bed, their room or the hospital by now. It's possible he will never wake up.....cause that's a lot of harpy strangles.

Check the dwarf's detailed view (u --> select dwarf --> v --> Enter). If he has brain or spinal damage....yeah. He might be toast.

I'm pretty sure people that are unconscious don't deal with hunger and thirst issues. Probably because there's no way to force feed unconscious people. Yet.

In terms of the time scale though, a dwarf being out of commission for one reason or another, for a year or more, is not uncommon.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:41:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »

This bug pops up every now and again. It happens when two creatures are wrestling and one falls unconscious; the one that's still awake just keeps whaling on them forever, and for some reason the unconscious one never dies. As soon as that harpy stops attacking, the dwarf will die.