Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone want to share how to make guns?  (Read 478 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Anyone want to share how to make guns?
« on: November 24, 2010, 09:36:20 pm »

I want to make guns in my Dwarf fortress.
Not like M-4s or AK-47's. I want flinklocks/blunderbust kind of guns.

Anyone what to share, please?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

!!tordek!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to share how to make guns?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:55:05 pm »

it's pretty easy actually, open up the raws in your df file and click on objects. From there open up item_weapon and begin creating your gun. I'd start by copying and pasting the crossbow data and going from there. The dwarf fort wiki has some great articles explaining what everything means. After that open up item_ammo and create some bullets.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want to share how to make guns?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:33:42 pm »

A true blunderbuss type deal might not really be possible (i.e. scatter shooting) but it could be abstracted at any rate. I'm thinking there could be some sort of riggernigged reaction or material editing to have such a thing, but I'm really, really doubting it at this point. It'd take some massive experimentation with expectations of no viable results. Unfortunately, until Toady adds in aimed ranged attacks, we won't likely see moddable firing rates, exploding ammo, and the like, some of that maybe not ever unless the modders REALLY rally behind the addition for that as a possibility. Even then, it could likely well never happen.

At any rate, as I said, they can certainly be abstracted, but hardly realistic. ! says the modder making gun-type deals for his total conversion mod :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.